tiddlyweb + tank + docker

chris...@gmail.com

Jul 12, 2014, 12:10:15 PM7/12/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com

I'm thinking about packaging up Tank as a Docker app to make it easier
for people to run their own installations. Has anyone already tried
this or tried to do it with plain TiddlyWeb?

--
Chris Dent http://burningchrome.com/
[...]

PMario

Jul 14, 2014, 5:03:39 AM7/14/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, July 12, 2014 6:10:15 PM UTC+2, cdent wrote:
.. Has anyone already tried
this or tried to do it with plain TiddlyWeb?

I did try docker with plain TiddlyWeb and TW5 on top of it but I don't have an automated workflow atm.

I'm thinking about packaging up Tank as a Docker app to make it easier
for people to run their own installations.

I'm not sure, what "run their own installations" mean for you?

Do you want to deliver a "production quality", a "good for private use" or a "explore - and throw away" containerised setup?

-mario

chris...@gmail.com

Jul 15, 2014, 6:10:30 AM7/15/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, 14 Jul 2014, PMario wrote:

>> I'm thinking about packaging up Tank as a Docker app to make it easier
>> for people to run their own installations.
>
> I'm not sure, what "run their own installations" mean for you?
>
> Do you want to deliver a "production quality", a "good for private use" or
> a "explore - and throw away" containerised setup?

Good question. I was thinking somewhere between "production quality"
and "good for private use". Perhaps "good for small workgroup or
organization".

"Production quality" is a bit distant at this point, even outside of
docker because the current main site is using an odd hybrid of the
text store, devstore2, and caching store for handling storage and I
don't reckon that's quite good enough for production quality. My
plan has always been to move to postgres but a) I never got around
to it b) what's there is working pretty well so far.

Whatever it is called the idea is that it will be possible for
someone to fill out some configuration files (with things like oauth
secrets, hostname information, paths to attached permanent storage)
and wham, there's your little install.

HansWobbe

Jul 15, 2014, 11:58:19 AM7/15/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com
This sounds like it would at least be a very good step in the right direction.

Unfortunately, I have no prior knowledge of Docker, so I'm going to have to do a bit of homework over the next couple weeks.  Sorry that it will tyake so long but most of my technical resources are Windows based as opposed to the being based on Unix and its derivatives.

-- Hans

cdent

Jul 20, 2014, 10:57:13 AM7/20/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com
On Saturday, July 12, 2014 5:10:15 PM UTC+1, cdent wrote:
I'm thinking about packaging up Tank as a Docker app to make it easier
for people to run their own installations. Has anyone already tried
this or tried to do it with plain TiddlyWeb?

I've started work on this and made some progress yesterday and today:

Enough progress that for people who have some familiarity with Docker (or want to learn it) there's enough going on to provide some good feedback.

There are a variety of things that aren't yet done, but if the process goes correctly you can visit a tank, sign up, create some tiddlers, drag and drop some binaries, etc. The README in the repo goes into more detail on what's not working and how to experiment.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING that does not work yet is that YOUR DATA IS NOT SAVED. That is, when tiddlers are written to the store, they only live for lifetime of the container. When you stop the container, your tiddlers go away. This will be fixed, by having local disk used for storage.

I'm pretty optimistic about the results thus far.

cdent

Aug 2, 2014, 11:55:20 AM8/2/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com

I wanted to give a quick update. I did some more work on this today but didn't make a lot of progress. The problem I was working on was the font-awesome files not working. For some reason they are not accepted by the browser. I've not yet been able to narrow down the problem. If anyone else has a chance to try that would be great.

I _did_ update the challenger so that it only lists oauth servers that are configured, not all three of Google, GitHub and Facebook.

Baby steps or something.

cdent

Aug 10, 2014, 3:47:45 PM8/10/14
to tidd...@googlegroups.com

I managed to fix the problem with the font-awesome fonts not working. It turned out to be a problem in tiddlywebplugins.twimport (which tiddlywebplugins.devstore2 users) that only rears its head when the code is hosted on a machine that has a non-existent or very limited mime.types file, such as on a Linux Container, e.g. Docker.

I've released a new version of twimport and tested it with the latest tankdock stuff and icons now work, making it make a lot more sense.

Other installations which are using twimport (often used in the package building process for complex systems like TiddlySpace) should probably upgrade.

The latest tankdock stuff can be found here: https://github.com/cdent/tankdock . If you are interested, give it a try, I think it demonstrates the power of Docker well.

Ah, special shout out to FND for convincing me what is now a long time ago to add the 'twanager interact' functionality to TiddlyWeb. It made debugging this problem less painful. Thanks.