TiddlySnip version compatible with Firefox 5.0 and above

Måns

Jun 23, 2011, 3:22:21 AM6/23/11
to TiddlySnip
I have modified bobw's version of tiddysnip for Firefox 4.* to work
with Firefox 5.*

the link is: http://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/TiddlySnip+1.2beta-cbr5plus.xpi

Rightclick - save target as.

To load it use "install extension from file" command and specify
the .xpi file to load..

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Måns

Jun 23, 2011, 4:56:41 AM6/23/11
to TiddlySnip
Minor correction:

> Rightclick - save target as.

should be: leftclick and when on redirecton page: rightclick - save
target as.

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

brettW

Jul 18, 2011, 9:37:56 AM7/18/11
to TiddlySnip
You can also install after downloading the file by locating in the
relevant download folder and using the "open with" command from the
drop down menu in file explorer.

However ..... I have found TiddlySnip to be invaluabkle in saving time
but now I do not seem to be able to access the options for TiddlySnip.
Consequently anything processed using TiddlySnip ends up in a
previously selected TiddlyWiki so in my case it all ends up in my
ContactsWiki and has to be exported to the relevant wiki.

Am I missing something here or is it really not possible to access the
destination options as we were able to previously?

Any advice to ge round this problem would be gratefully received.

alex

Aug 12, 2011, 7:10:26 AM8/12/11
to TiddlySnip
Hi Måns,

just found this group after a search.
I've not used TSnip for years. I stopped because i ended up loosing
data because the tw targeted didn't save. And now it does!!!

My questions is "is there a browser button for TiddlySnip?"

Alex

Måns Mårtensson

Aug 13, 2011, 6:59:00 AM8/13/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex

just found this group after a search.
I've not used TSnip for years. I stopped because i ended up loosing
data because the tw targeted didn't save. And now it does!!!

My questions is "is there a browser button for TiddlySnip?"

Button ?

At the moment I'm using FF ver. 4 because it allow saving to the net - FF ver. 5 in combvination with TW has a lot of issues - so I'm not using the TiddlySnip FF ver. 5 myself...

In FF ver. 4  you set your preferences for TiddlySnip in the Extentions library. (Where all extentions are listed).

Usage is simple - select some text on a page - rightclick - tiddlysnip..

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

brettW

Aug 30, 2011, 7:29:52 AM8/30/11
to TiddlySnip
Greetings Guys

So in quick succession Firefox has moved from 4 to 5 to 6 and each
time it has ended up "breaking" TiddlySnip.

I find it invaluable, particularly as an aid to tracking possible
contracts when I am finding freelance work.

Unfortunately my programming skills are a long way in the past
(Fortran and Basic on punched card runs and teletypes) so it is
currently beyond my skills to even attempt resoluton.

Is anyone out there considering updating it to run under FF6? All
efforts would be very much appreciated.

Android Cat

Sep 1, 2011, 11:48:26 PM9/1/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
It's actually very easy to patch. After reading the previous threads, it turns out that those xpi files are just zip archives.

* Rename the xpi to a zip, and extract the files.
* Open install.rdf in a text editor.
* Change the line with em:maxVersion="5.*" to em:maxVersion="6.*", save.
* Rezip the files to an archive or replace install.rdf in the existing archive.
* Change the .zip back to a .xpi.
* Open the file with Firefox, and that should be it. (For Windows, at least.)

*shrug* It worked for me.

whatever

Sep 10, 2011, 1:11:36 PM9/10/11
to TiddlySnip
I changed mine to em:maxVersion="99.*", that way I don't have to
constantly worry when FF will move to a new version.

whatever

Sep 12, 2011, 9:51:31 AM9/12/11
to TiddlySnip
I changed em:maxVersion="5.*" to em:maxVersion="999.*"
That should keep it working for the forseable future. :D

Friedrich Hehl

Sep 21, 2011, 10:37:24 AM9/21/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Hi!
Thanks for the guide, didn't know xpi-files were renamed zip-files!

Sadly, when I'm trying to install the add-on manually after the little "reconfiguration", firefox claims that "the add-on is probably broken" and aborts the installation process.
I'm using Firefox 6.0.2.

Any idea where my problem could be?
I would love to use TiddlySnip!

okido

Sep 21, 2011, 1:49:49 PM9/21/11
to TiddlySnip
Hi Friedrich,

Initially a had the problem "the add-on is probably broken" too on
Linux.

Changed the process somewhat:

* Rename the xpi to a zip, and extract the files.
* Open install.rdf in a text editor.
* Change the line with em:maxVersion="5.*" to em:maxVersion="6.*",
save.
* Replace install.rdf in the existing zip archive.
* Change the .zip back to a .xpi.
* Open the file with Firefox, and that should be it.

This worked for me, Okido

Friedrich Hehl

Sep 22, 2011, 8:33:18 AM9/22/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
Okido,
thanks a lot!

I'm still wondering what made the difference, but sometimes software can be a black box!
Cool tool, does exactly what I hoped it would do!

Marc

Sep 28, 2011, 1:27:19 PM9/28/11
to TiddlySnip
I am having problems getting this fix to work on the mac. Please help.

susanna

Oct 4, 2011, 3:54:26 PM10/4/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
When I try to either left click or right click the original .xpi link at the top of this thread, I get nothing...

On left click, I get a page of garbled text, with no redirection page.

On right click, I can download a url link, which when I try to follow, takes me to a totally blank url (like opening a new tab or page in Firefox)...

Thoughts... ? Help ... ?

Thanks so much!

Friedrich Hehl

Oct 6, 2011, 4:13:37 AM10/6/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
I tried to do as you did, but all went fine. Strange...
Anyway:
If you want a readily "re-designed" xpi (I changed the max-version number to 9), I just put it online at
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1814138/TiddlySnip%2B1.2beta-cbr5plus.xpi

Better luck with this one :-)

Måns

Oct 8, 2011, 9:03:39 AM10/8/11
to TiddlySnip
Hi again

I followed whatever's advice and made a new xpi:
http://http//xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/TS999plus.zip
I've put it in a zip-archive - so now you should be able to download
it directly from this groupthread...

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Måns

Oct 8, 2011, 8:48:36 AM10/8/11
to TiddlySnip
Hi Susanna

> On left click, I get a page of garbled text, with no redirection page.

I'm aware of this - however I don't know why - or how to fix it...

> On right click, I can download a url link, which when I try to follow, takes
> me to a totally blank url (like opening a new tab or page in Firefox)...

This is google groups which want to redirect to the url provided...

If you copy the linktext ttp://xn--mns-ula.dk/tw-os/TiddlySnip+1.2beta-cbr5plus.xpi
into a TW - and rightclick it - save taget as... - then the download
should work..

Cheers Måns Mårtensson

Marc Ferguson

Oct 9, 2011, 9:17:25 PM10/9/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
thanks you are the best

Jacob Lagendyk

Oct 10, 2011, 11:55:18 PM10/10/11
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
works for me!

prak97

May 12, 2012, 10:25:17 PM5/12/12
to tiddl...@googlegroups.com
worked perfectly on mac with FF ver 12...thanx