Using loader to restore a MyDumper backup is slow.

Wilfred Chau

Apr 10, 2018, 9:59:19 PM4/10/18
to TiDB user group
Is there a faster way to restore million to billion rows of data to TiDB?

I cut a backup using MyDumper, then use the loader utility to load the data.

The transaction execution costs reported from loader is around 4-15 seconds.

version : 5.7.10-TiDB-v2.0.0-rc.4-31-gbfb6ec2

chen...@pingcap.com

Apr 11, 2018, 2:30:53 AM4/11/18
to TiDB user group
Yes, We do have a  faster tool which is under heavy development and not release yet. In one of our tests, the tool can restore 388 GB data in 2.5 h.

在 2018年4月11日星期三 UTC+8上午9:59:19,Wilfred Chau写道:

Wilfred Chau

Apr 14, 2018, 12:12:04 AM4/14/18
to TiDB user group
Thanks.  When do you expect the new import tool be available?

Fyi.  We loaded 179GB (mydump uncompressed sql) in 4 days.

Can I suggest a few things to add to the new tool:
1) allow bulk upload to an existing table, currently, the loader tool requires to run the schema.sql from mydumper.  I have to uncomment the schema DDL to get around it
2) allow bulk upload to use compressed mydumper SQL file
3) allow bulk upload to use compressed and versioned mydumper SQL files.  (I used 4 threads when executing mydumper, hence it produces SQL file like <table>.00000.sql.gz, <table>.00001.sql.gz etc)