Fished the Gunpowder today

Roxanne Vezzetti

Oct 12, 2022, 1:11:45 PM10/12/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My friend Ann and I fished the Gunpowder today for the first time. guided by Kiki Galvin.  It was a gorgeous day and although the water was "skinny" and only 34-35 cfs, I netted two nice sized  browns.  Maybe  8 and 9 inches?  My friend was lucky, also, netting a little first year brown.
The fish were very active, rising and striking, and other anglers reported success netting fish too.  We also saw a gorgeous blue heron.  Great day, overall.

Roxanne

Kevin KB

Oct 12, 2022, 4:26:45 PM10/12/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Fishing with Kiki, catching browns and seeing a great blue heron qualifies as a great day no matter what the river.  Although with great blue herons,they are better seen than heard!

Kevin in

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Owen Williams

Oct 13, 2022, 7:52:58 AM10/13/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the report, Roxanne! And they were even hitting on dries? That's a stellar day for you and Ann. Having a kind and knowledgable pro like Kiki guiding you is a very smart way to start to learn the Gunpowder.

Blue herons are always a good sign that you're fishing in the right spot.

I did have a question for the group--I know you've got to "fish it like you find it," but at what cfs is the Gunpowder "perfect" for you?

Best,
Owen

Roxanne Vezzetti

Oct 13, 2022, 10:13:40 AM10/13/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Owen, we fished exclusively dries.  I caught my two on ants.  Ann caught hers on a caddis, I believe.  We also saw lots of midges in the air, a green inchworm (on Kiki’s hat) and a blue winged olive.  We tried fishing the green weenie but failed to catch anything.   I believe Kiki said 70 was a nice level.  But I could be mis-remembering, so I’ll be interested to hear what the group says, too!

Owen Williams

Oct 14, 2022, 7:42:17 AM10/14/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
That's awesome, Roxanne. Thanks for the details!

Roxanne Vezzetti

Oct 14, 2022, 1:23:00 PM10/14/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Owen, how does one write privately?  Makes sense not to annoy the whole group with some things.
I’d love to join another casting group.  Ann lives in Pennsylvania so she is unlikely to come but according to Brook my casting is a disaster so I need help!!!  I have no one experienced to fish with so I quickly regress.

Sent from my iPhone

On Oct 14, 2, at 7:42 AM, Owen Williams <eowill...@gmail.com> wrote:

That's awesome, Roxanne. Thanks for the details!

HermanyorFlorida

Oct 17, 2022, 4:35:52 PM10/17/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Roxanne, As someone fishing the Gunpowder later this week, I'm quite happy that you're sharing.

That said if you want to write privately, I think the 'Reply to Author' option in the upper right hand corner of a specific message should do that for you.

In terms of casting groups, in addition to TPFR's main Casting Church, out here in Loudoun County there's Goose Creek Casting Club.  Owen can tell you more about that, I haven't been in a few months.

Owen Williams

Oct 18, 2022, 8:14:32 AM10/18/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Yes, Goose Creek Casting Club is always welcoming newcomers and drop-ins. We meet on the third Sunday of each month from 8:30 to 10 or 10:30 at the pavilion at Windmill Park in Ashburn. These times may shift as the days get colder.

Goose Creek has a number of FFI Certified Instructors, which is great because they can explain a technique in multiple ways. Put a recurring meeting on your calendar now and we'll hope to see everyone from TPRF for whom Casting Church on the second Sunday at Fletcher's Boathouse just isn't enough practice (like me) and especially those who live out this way.

Last Sunday three newbies aced their pick-up and lay-down (PULD) cast and started working on the roll cast, which was great to see. Oh, and we got another FFI Casting Skills Bronze level winner in Jamie Gold, who knocked it out in short order and is looking towards the Silver.

Happy to answer any questions.

Best,
Owen Williams