Looking for good wade-in spots near C+O Lock 22/Potomac River

Thomas Radman

Oct 15, 2022, 6:01:53 AM10/15/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My kid has a tournament close to Lock 22 giving me a few hours to kill between matches.  Is there a good spot that I can wade-in and get some casts in?  Advice on good flies to use?
Thanks!

David Vazquez

Oct 15, 2022, 9:30:18 AM10/15/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Others would probably have more knowledge, but I’ve found good numbers of carp and a few snakehead in the canal below the water treatment plant. This summer they’ve been doing restoration work on Swain’s Lock, so the water has been really low. The carp are still around, but it’s been tough sledding for them. I have found a few smallies in the river in that vicinity as well. It’s definitely worth a look.

The usual carp flies (worms, buggers, etc.) work. Same for smallies (clousers, buggers, crayfish patterns, gurglers, etc.).