Rhode Island - stripers no albies

peter odell

Sep 15, 2021, 12:15:30 PM9/15/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Had a great 2 days with Rene Letourneau of OnTheRocksCharters.  We were looking for false albacore, but had to settle for stripers and bluefish  on the fly.  Some really big, chunky fish.  Rumor was the unusual schools of tuna just off the coast scared the albies away, but if anyone has better insight as to the storms or water temp, etc, would love to know.

Fantastic place to fish, and many more wind options with all the rocks and coves.  Scenery also incredible there.  We left out of Fort Adams in NewPort.

Water was audibly boiling when the fish were on the feed near the mouth of the Narrow River.

Orvis gear (Orvis endorsed guide), heavy sinking lines to cut the wind and pick up some lower down fish.  Peanut bunker flies, 20lb tippet.

pete big striper.jpg