Fwd: Fall Trout Stocking Weekly Wrap: October 2-8, 2022

Carl Z.

Oct 7, 2022, 7:06:58 PM10/7/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
The fish are arriving.

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Maryland Natural Resources <MD...@public.govdelivery.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 7, 2022, 10:01 AM
Subject: Fall Trout Stocking Weekly Wrap: October 2-8, 2022
To: <zm...@acm.org>

7,700 trout were stocked this week

Having trouble viewing this email? View it as a Webpage

Photo of: Man fishing at river with sun shining through trees

Maryland Department of Natural Resources crews stocked 7,700 trout stocked this week.

Allegany County

  • Evitts Creek: rainbow trout
  • Wills Creek: rainbow trout

Baltimore County

  • Stansbury Park Pond: golden and rainbow trout
  • Upper Gunpowder Falls: rainbow trout

Carroll County

  • Morgan Run: brown trout

Frederick County

  • Cunningham Lake: rainbow trout

Garrett County

  • Bear Creek: rainbow trout
  • North Branch Potomac River (Gorman): rainbow trout
  • North Branch Potomac River (Kitzmiller): rainbow trout
  • North Branch Potomac River (Westernport): rainbow trout
  • Piney Reservoir: rainbow trout
  • Savage River: rainbow trout
  • Youghiogheny River (catch and release): brown trout
  • Youghiogheny River (Friendsville): rainbow trout

Montgomery County

  • Great Seneca Lake: brown trout

Washington County

  • Greenbrier Lake: golden and rainbow trout

Specific trout stocking details and locations can be found on our trout stocking map.

Fishing licenses and trout stamps are available for purchase online.

Home    News    Magazine    Photo Contest    Regulations    Store

Maryland DNR logo

Larry Hogan, Governor | Jeannie Haddaway-Riccio, Secretary

Facebook Twitter Instagram Icon LinkedIn Icon Youtube Govdelivery

Manage Subscriptions  |  Unsubscribe All  |  Help

This email was sent to zm...@acm.org using GovDelivery Communications Cloud on behalf of: Maryland Department of Natural Resources · 580 Taylor Avenue - Annapolis, MD 21401 GovDelivery logo

Owen Williams

Oct 8, 2022, 7:32:51 AM10/8/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Here fishy, fishy, fishy!

Z Onk

Oct 8, 2022, 8:37:37 PM10/8/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Don’t need no stinking stockers …
7E5F8547-8A3A-4477-AE4D-87F9DDB65FCB.jpeg

Trent Jones

Oct 8, 2022, 9:30:28 PM10/8/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The fish are here....and have been for millennia. Also, I would hardly classify farmed raised trout as fish.

 We have plenty of wild and native trout to target within 2 hours of DC. Also, the tidewater portion of the Potomac is loaded with fish as well and can be fished year round.

I encourage every Trout angler on this forum to read: An Entirely Synthetic Fish by Anders Halverson.... I also encourage them to go catch some actual Trout this fall before the spawn begins.

-Trent Jones aka Trout Jones

Williard, David

Oct 9, 2022, 8:39:04 AM10/9/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I suppose you avoid brown trout as they are an imported invasive species?

Oct 9, 2022, 9:11:22 AM10/9/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
They serve a purpose.  i wish VA wouldn't stock over wild fish but many of the streams they stock aren't going to be home to much more than chubs and suckers. I rarely fish for them, but they will be a target for people who want to get out during a time when the brook trout are spawning or just spawned, the bass are slowing down ect.

Trent Jones

Oct 9, 2022, 9:43:52 PM10/9/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I do not avoid Brown Trout. In fact, I target them quite frequently. We are actually lucky to have such robust populations of wild reproducing Brown Trout within two hours of DC.

I do not target stocked brown trout for the reasons I mentioned in my first post. They are not really fish.

Not sure what purpose they really serve. It seems silly that anglers can't wait a couple months for wild Trout to spawn. So, we put farm raised fish in waters with wild populations, or in water that can't sustain Trout other than the coldest months of the year? Money not well spent in my opinion. And it's not like you are learning any real Trout fishing skills by targeting farm raised fish, if anything your Trout angling skill probably suffer from engaging in the practice.

Just my thoughts. Curious what others think though,

-Trent

Yambag Nelson

Oct 9, 2022, 10:37:58 PM10/9/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Its a nice time of year to be outside and stocking some streams gives people a chance to get out and fish without harassing the brook trout.  Not all anglers are skilled enough to catch wild trout, especially kids.  Also, many of the wild brown trout streams are special regulations which may not be how many anglers, including kids prefer to fish.  Some people like to eat fish and while a wild trout tastes much better, its probably for the best that people who like to eat fish leave them alone.

Doug Graebner

Oct 10, 2022, 6:50:43 PM10/10/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I mean it seems pretty reasonable to take a line that stocking is fine in marginal trout water where it's unlikely to affect native fish species (especially places where there's very few holdover trout), not fine when it's done over wild and/or native trout. Whether fishing for stocked fish is a good use of your time is a separate question.

Doug Graebner

Oct 10, 2022, 6:59:22 PM10/10/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Addenda:
1) This is I think orthogonal to the question of when it's a good idea to actively remove wild but non-native trout in favor of native trout or other coldwater species
2) The one actual use case for fishing for stockies is probably extreme beginners or kids who need the kind of immediate feedback you get, although to an extent wild trout from freestone pocket water do the same thing.