Seneca Breaks Potomac

SC

Sep 28, 2021, 2:13:47 PM9/28/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey all,

I was wondering if anyone has been out to seneca breaks and has any info they are willing to share on accessing that part of the river / how the fishing is?

Thanks all!

namfos

Sep 28, 2021, 4:44:57 PM9/28/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was bike riding up there on the towpath on Sunday. River is up and looks like molten milk chocolate. You can get to Seneca Breaks via either Violettes Lock at the upstream end or Pennyfield Lock at the downstream end. It can be rugged wading even when the river is low. Be sure to check river gages for flow and height.  I haven't fished there in 2 or 3 years.

Mark

Doug Graebner

Sep 29, 2021, 8:24:14 PM9/29/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
in general the scuttlebutt is that that part of the Potomac has deteriorated, especially the smallmouth fishery. It's possible that Seneca is an exception or that you could do well anyways. As for access, I would generally not wade unless the water was very low, and usually that means late July/August is about it for wading. If you want to boat White's Ferry has a boat rental nearby that might be an option.

Doug Graebner

Sep 29, 2021, 8:26:29 PM9/29/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I would however consider investigating the Monocacy in that general area for smallies; I don't know how the fishing quality tracks with the Potomac and it seems at least conceivable that it's held up better.

jhaner...@gmail.com

Sep 29, 2021, 10:43:23 PM9/29/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I have fished seneca breaks, seneca creek, and various sections of the monocacy for years.  From 2012-2016 all of these areas were fabulous for smallies.  I caught my pb at the time (19.5 incher) on the monocacy near pinecliff park.  For years I would go to seneca creek near calleva and pull out numerous smallies under 12 inches.  Since 2018, everything has changed.  I am lucky to catch 1 smallie in a days worth of fishing in all of these areas.  Seems the high water and pollution has greatly effected the smallie fishing in all of the upper potomac up through harpers ferry.  The only smallie fishing I do now is on the NF/SF of Shennandoah and the Susquehanna.

Art Friedlander

Oct 5, 2021, 9:21:11 AM10/5/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Any more details of the areas to fish on the Shenandoah and Susquehanna would be apreciated.
Thanks

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

jhaner...@gmail.com

Oct 13, 2021, 12:44:33 PM10/13/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
For the Sus I usually make the drive up to Duncannon and rent a boat from Riverfront campground.  They shuttle you up the river.  You can float either the Suss or the Little Juniata which is a trib of the Suss.  Only made it out once this summer to float the little J but had an epic day.  Boated probably 30 fish (all on poppers) in about 4 hours.  Took 3 fish over 18 inches, with the biggest at 20.5.
IMG_2401.PNG

HermanyorFlorida

Oct 14, 2021, 9:24:05 AM10/14/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I waded Seneca Breaks from the VA side twice last year with some of my friends from PRSC.  Mix of fly and conventional stuff.  We gaggle of sunfish and maybe two smallmouth under 12".  Haven't been back this year.  My friends with boats fishing from Riverbend and Algonkin seem to be doing decent this year on smallies.