Middle James River and Rappahannock Guides

Deadbait

Jul 29, 2021, 11:55:54 AM7/29/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey folks - is there a thread on on MJ and Rapp guides?

My Pop is in Glen Allen outside Richmond and doesn't have a ton of mobility; I want to get him on an easy summer smallie float without having to go up to Lynchburg. Any recommendations?

much appreciated,
Joel

Brian Hepler

Jul 29, 2021, 2:01:28 PM7/29/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
William at Eastern Trophies floats the Rapp and I’ve heard him talk about the James as well.

He has a big Moravia  raft - it’s comfortable.

It even has a porta potty under the back seat

I’ve fished with William several times over the last few years -  he’s really good - and will work hard to put you on the fish.

He’s also an excellent and positive coach - I took my step son out on a float with William last year - he is fairly new to fishing - William set him up with a spin rod - showed him how to cast,  the best type of retrieve, etc.

William had both of us into sm bass almost immediately- and the catching continued thru out the day.

I was throwing a fly rod.

Overall - It was a great day - and a lot of fun!

Highly recommended!

I hope this was helpful!

Best,
Brian

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Kevin Brugman

Jul 29, 2021, 2:06:45 PM7/29/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Joel,
For the Rapahannock and Rapidan, I would check out William Heresniak at https://easterntrophies.com/.    I have never taken a trip with him, but numerous friends have and I have never heard a complaint only high praises.
Kevin

Sean Steele

Jul 29, 2021, 2:18:33 PM7/29/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
On the fly, or conventional tackle? Ever considered a float on Lake Anna for resident stripers? There’s plenty of good bass fishing, too. Wheelchair access, and mobility-challenged boats and docks to be had. Decent(ish) food options for before/after.

-Sean

Jul 29, 2021, 4:55:41 PM7/29/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thank you, Brian - yep on the fly - thanks all for the tips - I'll be looking up Eastern Trophies.

Sean - yeah I've taken my Pop on a Lake Anna charter for stripers but hate the downrigging-style fishing (it's more like reeling than fishing). But it is comfortable!