Copying a mepps spinner

Kevin KB

Sep 21, 2021, 9:13:05 AM9/21/21
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I was recently down on the Rappahannock river.  The spin Fishers using a Mepps cocktail spinner were having lots of luck with smallmouths.  On a fly rod I had zero luck with closers or wooly buggers.  I know, if I want fish line a spin rod fisher, use a spinning rod.  But any suggestions on a fly option?  I did have a little luck using top water gurgles and poppers, mainly for sunfish and a rare smallmouth.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Scott Stankus

Sep 21, 2021, 9:27:52 AM9/21/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Not a perfect match by any means, but have a look at the Coyote. It's like a Clouser with a small spinner blade. It's not going to have the same thump as a true inline spinner, but it'll add a little extra flash.

You can tie your own or buy them right from Umpqua.

image.png

--Scott

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

"There are 10 types of people in this world, those who know binary, and those who don't"

Fly Fish

Sep 21, 2021, 9:28:19 AM9/21/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Kreelex by Chuck Kraft

On Tue, Sep 21, 2021, 09:13 Kevin KB <klb...@gmail.com> wrote:
I was recently down on the Rappahannock river.  The spin Fishers using a Mepps cocktail spinner were having lots of luck with smallmouths.  On a fly rod I had zero luck with closers or wooly buggers.  I know, if I want fish line a spin rod fisher, use a spinning rod.  But any suggestions on a fly option?  I did have a little luck using top water gurgles and poppers, mainly for sunfish and a rare smallmouth.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Luke Morrison

Sep 21, 2021, 1:40:04 PM9/21/21
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I’d be curious of other extenuating factors too: were you fishing behind someone? Maybe they were putting fish down after catching a few. Were your flies in the same part of the water column as the conventional fishermen? Were they getting a different, continuous movement with their lure but you were slowly stripping it in?

One technique I’ll try with clousers and smallies is what we call the New England or cape cod strip where you hold the butt/reel in your armpit and strip line with both hands (I’m sure there’s a technical term for this). With this try different speeds, add pauses, etc. until you key in on what works.

Sent from my iPhone