closest wade fishing to Arlington and upcoming events?

Dana Williams

Aug 17, 2022, 12:39:33 PM8/17/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hi, I am new in the mid-Atlantic area as of January but literally just moved from Baltimore where I fished the Gunpowder weekly to Arlington this weekend. I am looking for a few super close wade fishing locations to Arlington for my weekly outings - I assume this would be smallmouth, hoping to stay within about an hour or less from Arlington for my weekly trips with only occasional forays for trout which I believe is about 1.5 hours a way whether Gunpowder which I am familiar with or in Shenandoah National Park.

Can anybody provide wade fishing locations/google pindrops within 30 mins to an hour from Arlington? I haven't had time to research with heavy workload but going tomorrow on my afternoon off. Not asking for specific holes just where to access/park.

Also, I joined the club in January knowing I would move to VA but have never received any emails I don't think about events - tying, fishing, etc. though I see Beer Tie and other things mentioned on this forum I don't keep up with it since google requires us, as far as I can tell, to tie it to a google account which I don't read.

Is there any mailing list or other places to find out what is happening? Also, is there any way to tie this google group to another account so I can have the traffic delivered to me?

Appreciate your assistance on any of these many questions - wanting to get actively involved...

Dana
Former president, Texas Women Fly Fishers

wbmat...@gmail.com

Aug 17, 2022, 1:05:22 PM8/17/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dana,

Welcome to the area!

Casting church is the 2nd Sunday of every month 0800-1100, in fletchers cove. You will go through the one lane tunnel to get to the lower parking lots https://goo.gl/maps/85wV69wJ3aV6rtQT7 Fletcher's Cove

Beer ties are the next day, at colony grill. They start at 7pm. https://www.tpfr.org/beer-tie

2800 Clarendon Blvd, Arlington, VA 22201

You can sign up for the newsletter at the bottom of the Tpfr page https://www.tpfr.org/

Hope to see you soon,

William

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Rob Snowhite

Aug 17, 2022, 2:35:30 PM8/17/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
You’ve got about two months left in wet wading around here. Bull Run, Four Mile Run, Holmes Run, Seneca Breaks, etc. I can send you drop pins over text or email.

Four Mile dredging has started.

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 17, 2022, at 1:06 PM, wbmat...@gmail.com wrote:

Hi Dana,

Yambag Nelson

Aug 17, 2022, 3:09:42 PM8/17/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
The C&O Canal around fletcher's cove and the tidal basin are two other possibilities, both within 20 minutes of arlington.  You won't actually be wading but can fish them from shore.  You can sight fish the former for carp if that is something you are interested in.

Most of these places as well as the others listed are pretty marginal but will allow you to get out and wet a line and hopefully catch a few fish.  Its urban fishing but as long as you keep that in mind it can be fun.

danawill...@gmail.com

Aug 20, 2022, 10:05:18 AM8/20/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks, all!

William Widdoes

Aug 22, 2022, 12:28:12 PM8/22/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I hit Seneca Breaks this weekend w/ my daughter :-)
I was throwing some clousers and an artic-streamer and she had jointed rapala and a mepps black fury.
Nada-zip-zilch. I would expect a whack from a 3" suicide smallie, but nooooo!
Saw a suface blow-up with bait showering. I worked my way over carefully and swung through- no one home.
Super-fishy looking spot, but I confess we didn't see or move anything. Not even panfish.
Love to hear what others think about this area.

Richard Farino

Aug 22, 2022, 12:53:42 PM8/22/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders

Smallmouth congregate in deep holes along the breaks in the summer.   CK Baitfish fished deep on a long leader works.   Just remember – crayfish swim downstream and across stream, and they crawl upstream.   Make sure to remember that when fishing them.

The Clousers should’ve worked though.

HermanyorFlorida

Aug 22, 2022, 2:56:57 PM8/22/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I waded Seneca Breaks twice in 2020 during the summer for smallmouth and it was not productive.  Not quite deep enough at least on the VA side.  I caught a couple shellcracker sunfish on a streamer.

Once winter rolls in, there's a variety of seasonal trout stocking schemes in the area.  Does VDGIF/VDWR still stock Holmes Run?  Otherwise the closest to you in Arlington is probably Accotink Run in Annandale.

Doug Graebner

Aug 22, 2022, 8:15:01 PM8/22/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I used to fish Violette's lock with some luck from panfish at least and there seem to be more consistent deep holes on the MD side there?

Daniel Lazenby

Aug 22, 2022, 9:25:45 PM8/22/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Yes VA DWR stocks Holmes Run fall and spring.

Dana Williams

Sep 12, 2022, 8:35:32 PM9/12/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I have been having some success thanks to folks' ideas - Riverbend Park (MD), Violette's Lock (skunked but only one trip), Rapp in Falmouth, Cabin John area. Haven't tried any of the feeder creeks yet - been a little worried they are too warm or too dirty. Excited to start reading over my new book Wade and Shoreline Fishing the Potomac by Steve Moore (from Amazon) which looks like it has tons of access points.