Tidal Potomac Resident Stripers

HermanyorFlorida

Dec 2, 2022, 2:05:12 PM12/2/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Hey All,

I've caught schoolie stripers on spinning gear as late as November on the Tidal Potomac near Mount Vernon.  Is there any reasonable expectation and location to target them from shore on the big river during the Winter or should I just pack up the 7 and 8 wt. until the shad run next Spring?

Herman
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Yambag Nelson

Dec 4, 2022, 7:57:04 PM12/4/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
As of saturday there were nice fish still around.  Not sure how long they will stick around but i plan to fish through the next tide cycle at least.  I do not believe the fish i was catching were the "resident" fish that you see around at gravelly ect during the summer and fall.  These fish were super fat and bigger which makes me think they were moving up the river.

HermanyorFlorida

Dec 8, 2022, 1:22:21 PM12/8/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the responses.  I hope "Yambag" sees this even though they deleted their responses.  I've had people ask me when I went to Beer ties is we were the same person.  Too late for me to do anything this calendar year, but I can budget time next fall/winter to chasing some stripers.

@Northstreet, by moving up the river, do you mean towards the Bay?

Brian Hepler

Dec 8, 2022, 1:41:47 PM12/8/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
Great report!

What set-up and size flies are you throwing? What colors patterns?

What type of sink tip?

Personally- chasing stripers on the bay - I like to thro 8 and 9 wght rods - 2/0 , 3/0, 4/0 clousers and half and halfs. Crab colored clousers, chartreuse/white, olive/white.

ridge intermediate running line and tungsten shoots heads. T-11 and T -14.

 the Orvis depth charge is a good line as well (imho)

Best,
Brian

Sent from my iPhone

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Yambag Nelson

Dec 9, 2022, 9:12:37 PM12/9/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
My guess (and I could be totally wrong about this) is that they were fish from down river/the bay that had moved up towards DC chasing bait.  They were noticeably bigger and extremely fat when compared to the typical stripers I catch around town. As the water cools I am thinking they will move back down river.

I use a 6 weight with a 200 grain intermediate line.  All on clousers which is the only fly I ever use for stripers in the potomac.  All white this time but chartreause/white is my standard.

Art Friedlander

Dec 12, 2022, 1:44:16 PM12/12/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Not having much experience with stripers can you indicate where locally one can target them? Fletchers?
Thanks

--
http://www.tpfr.org
---

Scott Diaz

Dec 12, 2022, 3:30:57 PM12/12/22
to tidal-potoma...@googlegroups.com
I’m trying at Gravely Pt between 3-4:30.

HermanyorFlorida

Dec 12, 2022, 4:05:01 PM12/12/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
I've caught them on the Potomac from shore near Mount Vernon, mostly Little Hunting Creek.  This is not the MD Little Hunting Creek with the trout, this is the one off the GW Parkway in VA.  I also caught one from my kayak in the tidal Occoquan River below the dam.

Art Friedlander

Dec 13, 2022, 6:44:04 PM12/13/22
to Tidal Potomac Fly Rodders
Thanks for the suggestions