How do I install Fargo II on the TI-92?

Patrick Rogers

Sep 26, 2019, 7:40:02 PM9/26/19
to ticalcor...@googlegroups.com
Hello everyone,

I am wondering how do I install the Assembly Shell called Fargo II for
the TI-92. I just got the calculator yesterday and I'm excited to try it
out with some games. There is no readme file in the in the fargo
download and I can't find any website or more documentation on how to do
that. Can anyone help?

Lionel Debroux

Sep 27, 2019, 4:18:24 AM9/27/19
to ticalcor...@googlegroups.com, Patrick Rogers
Hi Patrick,
Fargo II is installed and made usable by transferring to the calculator:
* a specially crafted backup (.92b file on the computer) tailored to the
exact calculator ROM version;
* libraries (.92p files), e.g. flib, needed by Fargo II programs.

As you've probably found, (modern computer) <-> 92 family transfers are
performed using either the official TI-Connect software, or the
unofficial TILP II software. I don't remember how well TI-Connect
supports the 92, but less than a year ago, I have used TILP II 1.18+ to
install Fargo for testing a new ROM dumper for libticalcs (underlying
TILP II). With TILP II, if you're using Windows, you'll have to deal
with the usual driver-related annoyances, but the one-time procedure
described in the README to fix these annoyances and make both TILP II
and TI-Connect functional, so that you can use both, is straightforward.

Hope that this helps :)

Bye,
Lionel Debroux.

Patrick Rogers

Sep 29, 2019, 9:32:53 PM9/29/19
to ticalcor...@googlegroups.com
Hello Lionel,

I actually found the instructions inside the fargo.txt file but I am
still having some problems. I made a backup with the official Ti-Connect
software, and the version is 1.11 on my 92. I tried running putfargo.bat
on Windows 10 but 16 bit support was dropped so I tried running it in a
Windows XP virtual machine. Should I try running this program in actual DOS?

Lionel Debroux

Oct 8, 2019, 1:55:55 PM10/8/19
to ticalcor...@googlegroups.com
Hi Patrick,

> I actually found the instructions inside the fargo.txt file but I am
> still having some problems. I made a backup with the official
> Ti-Connect software, and the version is 1.11 on my 92. I tried running
> putfargo.bat on Windows 10 but 16 bit support was dropped so I tried
> running it in a Windows XP virtual machine. Should I try running this
> program in actual DOS?
No need to go through the pain of getting yourself one of the older
cables and using DOS tools on non-virtualized MS-DOS/FreeDOS running on
a computer with a real DB9 port (for the BlackLink / $4 cable) or DB25
port (for the ParallelLink / $5 cable, if that is even supported by the
tools) :)
Any tools provided alongside Fargo and part of the Fargo documentation
are hopelessly outdated at this point, they were written before our
community's younger members were even born...

In my previous e-mail, I described the way to install Fargo which went
successfully, and easily, for me, less than a year ago :)
Maybe TI-Connect will do the job as well for you, I don't know and I
can't easily check.

Bye,
Lionel.