Barley with HUSK

Zil Jeefah ~ ومسجد بذي الجيفة

Oct 18, 2022, 2:34:04 AM10/18/22
to tibb-e...@googlegroups.com

Assalam o Alaikum,

Yes it is clearly understood that Barley should be eaten with its husk/chaff ~ the outer layer. It helps in bowel movement & kills constipation.

Flour gets finely ground at the mills these days, & this husk is also ground into very tiny particles, hence eating barley bread which has the husk is not a problem, rather it feels so tasty.

But if you want to reduce the quantity of husk, get your barley grains milled with the husk & when you obtain the flour, sieve it so that the larger flakes are removed & still you get some fine husk in the flour, bread from this sieved flour will be easier to make.

I attach some pictures of barley bread which has the husk included.

Sattu - Whole Barley

Assalamualaikum.

On the topic of making your own Sattu/Saweeq, it says to use barley which has husk. I am confused by the meaning of the word husk. Barley has a lose outer cover that is known as a husk or chaff, which people say is not edible. Then the actual grain has the bran, germ, and endosperm. I was wondering if you require using the husk/chaff? Is it edible? I understand that pearled and pot barley is polished and removed much of the bran, but I am just confused about whether we use the hull/husk/chaff, or do we take that off?

Jazakillah Khayr.

Barley Bread.JPG
Barley bread.JPG
Barley & Oats.JPG