Interfacing TI Launchpad to Digital Caliper

Maris

Dec 13, 2010, 9:20:02 AM12/13/10
to TI Launchpad
Hello,

I recently bought digital caliper and decided to try to read it's data
port readings from my Launchpad. It had Clock and Data pin. Had to
setup pin that connects to Clock to trigger interrup on every pulse
and then in interrupt function do bit shifting to assemble 16 bit
signed integer representing caliper reading. Then sent it out to PC
via soft UART serial port. You can find full source code and detailed
explanation in article I worte:

http://robocombo.blogspot.com/2010/12/using-tis-launchpad-to-interface.html

BTW, this way you can use caliper for precise position sensor if 8Hz
updates are enough. Maybe useful to somebody

Maris

Gerard Sequeira

Dec 13, 2010, 9:28:51 AM12/13/10
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
That is simply awesome. Thanks for sharing.
--
Homepage: http://www.machinegrid.com :: Robots at Work!!

GeekDoc

Dec 13, 2010, 1:35:05 PM12/13/10
to TI Launchpad
That is great work!

You should submit to the 430h.com forums for the December Project of
the Month!

On Dec 13, 8:20 am, Maris <viltni...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I recently bought digital caliper and decided to try to read it's data
> port readings from my Launchpad. It had Clock and Data pin. Had to
> setup pin that connects to Clock to trigger interrup on every pulse
> and then in interrupt function do bit shifting to assemble 16 bit
> signed integer representing caliper reading. Then sent it out to PC
> via soft UART serial port. You can find full source code and detailed
> explanation in article I worte:
>
> http://robocombo.blogspot.com/2010/12/using-tis-launchpad-to-interfac...

Tyler Colgan

Dec 13, 2010, 2:36:02 PM12/13/10
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com
(the URL is 43oh.com, with the letter 'o' instead of a zero)

GeekDoc

Dec 14, 2010, 9:27:31 AM12/14/10
to TI Launchpad
Ooops! I often do that, but I usually catch myself. Thanks for the
correction.

On Dec 13, 1:36 pm, Tyler Colgan <tyler.col...@gmail.com> wrote:
> (the URL is 43oh.com, with the letter 'o' instead of a zero)

Ryan Barnes

Dec 14, 2010, 2:18:00 PM12/14/10
to ti-lau...@googlegroups.com

The idea of using digital calipers as encoded linear platforms for cnc control has been tossed around at the reprap project wiki. They'll probably love to see this!