Anyone doing eclipse-related activities with TI-Innovator Hub, other sensors?

Chhaya, Harshal S.

Apr 5, 2024, 1:55:48 PMApr 5
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

If you are planning to do any eclipse-related activities with TI-Innovator Hub and other sensors, please share here.

If you are looking for ideas, there was a really good webinar on the topic

https://education.ti.com/en/t3-professional-development/for-teachers-and-teams/online-learning/on-demand-webinars/2024/mar-19-2024-there-goes-the-sun-cool-and-illuminating-eclipse-data-projects

This webinar had 3 activities that connected math & science & the Solar Eclipse

It has real-world data collection & analysis including activities with TI-Innovator Hub and with micro:bit

And the title? "There Goes the Sun" - 😊

May your skies be clear, the weather wonderful and the sun completely covered on April 8th,

- Harshal

--

Harshal S. Chhaya, Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (Emeritus)

Product Manager, STEM and robotics

Manager, Robotics outreach

TI robotic vehicle for education: http://education.ti.com/rover

Sean Bird

Apr 8, 2024, 10:28:29 PMApr 8
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
(I shared this with the TI-Nspire group, and I didn't use the TI-Innovator, but I enjoyed the TI-Nspire lab cradle and a number of sensors. This email has a few improvements on what I sent earlier. Thanks Harshal for the prompting question.)

We had 4 minutes of totality here in Indy.
It was great watching the temperature and UVA and UVB drop and then rise again. Attached is the TI-Nspire file of the data.
Here are the two pages of data during the beginning, from about 5% to 80% partial eclipse.
image.png
image.png
Then here is the 16 minutes entering into totality
image.png
image.png

And starting during totality, here is the 1 hour and 12 hours of data as the sun reappears.
image.png

image.png

The corona was amazingly beautiful. We also easily saw Venus and Jupiter (but we couldn't see the comet).
image.png

The temp dropped from 26.1 deg Celcius to 20.5 and then back up to 26.1. That is a drop from 79.0 deg F to 68.9 deg F back up 10 deg F in that hour after.

Here is a diffraction design (holes in Al foil viewed in a box) in the shape of a heart (partial eclipse of the heart) entering into totality and leaving it.

image.png

image.png
image.png
I was pleased with the ring stand set up. In this last pic you can also see refraction (binoculars) and the diffraction box.

Enjoy,

Mr. Bird
Teacher - Mathematics & Physics;
Adviser - NHS, Rocket Team, VEX Robotics;

eclipse 2024.tns

Robin Gapinski

Apr 8, 2024, 10:36:53 PMApr 8
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
This is incredible data/info that you shared, Sean!! Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing all of this with our group:)

Mrs. Robin Gapinski

Mathematics Teacher/TI-Regional Instructor

2024 Class Sponsor/GirlsCode Sponsor/Math Team Coach/Stemology  Sponsor/Asst. Girls' JVA Field Hockey Coach

Co-Chair of the DEA Negotiations Committee

Highland Park High School

224-765-2224

"Life is not waiting for the storm to be over but rather learning to dance in the rain. "

Chhaya, Harshal S.

Apr 9, 2024, 10:20:28 AMApr 9
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

Sean – thank you for all the details and your setup! That was really cool to see

(and to be honest, your diffraction design was the most best! Simple but so stunning! Absolutely memorable!)

I know Brad used the brightness sensor of the TI-Innovator Hub to track the dip in brightness through the eclipse.

If anyone else use the TI-Innovator Hub and/or the Vernier sensors to collect data during the eclipse, please share (you can also email me directly, if you wish).

For us in Dallas, it was a spectacular experience! Those 4 min of totality were truly awe-inspiring.

Regards,

- Harshal

This is incredible data/info that you shared, Sean!! Wow!! Thank you so much for sharing all of this with our group: ) Mrs. Robin Gapinski Mathematics Teacher/TI-Regional Instructor 2024 Class Sponsor/GirlsCode Sponsor/Math Team Coach/Stemology

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerStart

This message was sent from outside of Texas Instruments.

Do not click links or open attachments unless you recognize the source of this email and know the content is safe. If you wish to report this message to IT Security, please forward the message as an attachment to phis...@list.ti.com

ZjQcmQRYFpfptBannerEnd

On Mon, Apr 8, 2024 at 9:28 PM Sean Bird <covena...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Sean Bird

Apr 9, 2024, 1:17:42 PMApr 9
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Attached is my latest version of the Nspire file. It even includes questions I can use for quick polls at the end of the file.

eclipse 2024.tns

Chhaya, Harshal S.

Apr 9, 2024, 4:30:47 PMApr 9
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

Sean – those Quick Polls are a pretty neat way to check understanding. Thanks for sharing your latest file.

All,

Here’s another graph from Therese Forsythe in Nova Scotia whose class used micro:bit + TI-Nspire CX II + Python to collect brightness data during the solar eclipse.

This is one of the activities from the March 19th webinar – and I love that she followed up with the actual data that they collected.

This is also a great example of the flexibility of the TI-Nspire CX II ecosystem – a Python program collected the data from micro:bit and used the “Data & Statistics” application to plot it.

(you could do something similar on TI-84 Plus CE Python too – just with fewer data points)

Regards,

- Harshal