Ultrasonic ranger and microbit

Jody Crothers

Apr 24, 2023, 3:56:41 AM4/24/23
to TI-Innovator

Hi all
has anyone used a grove ultrasonic ranger with a microbit I'm looking to code in python reading the range and then doing something when an object gets close to the ranger.
Cheers
Jody

Sent from my Galaxy

Fotsch, Frederick

Apr 24, 2023, 7:44:16 AM4/24/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jody,

The Grove ultrasonic ranger is supported on microbit when using an expansion board, e.g., BitMaker. It is not supported when the card is untethered from the CXII.

From the microbit menu select:
9. Grove Devices
1. Input
5. read_ranger(pin)

A typical use is:

D = grove.read_ranger(pin0)

This will measure the distance to an object in centimeters and store the result in the variable named “D” when the device is connected to port 0 of the BitMaker board.

I hope this helps.
Thanks,
Fred

Sent from my iPhone

Jody Crothers

Apr 24, 2023, 9:36:04 AM4/24/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Fred ,
Exactly what I needed to start
I'm hoping to use movement to launch the drone
Cheers
Jody

Sent from my Galaxy

John Hanna

Apr 24, 2023, 11:42:36 AM4/24/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

There’s an activity on TI Codes using ranger:

https://education.ti.com/en/activities/ti-codes/python/ti-nspire-cx-ii/python-modules

See Micro:bit with Expansion Board > MP3: Intruder Alert

Jody Crothers

Apr 24, 2023, 3:49:24 PM4/24/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John,
That's a great help

Hubert Langlotz

Sep 14, 2023, 10:13:21 AM9/14/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com, Griebel, Dirk Ritschel
Hi Fred,

after your wonderful presentation last week in Dresden I bought a Tello and some neccesarry equipment.
At the beginning there were some problems to connect the Tello with the micro:bit, but Hans-Martin could help, I had to update microbit.
Now I will begin with some simple flights.
Can you recommend something for the start?

I know you are at the moment in Israel, therefore I will wait.

Have a great time there.

Hubert

Hubert Langlotz

Hubert Langlotz

Sep 14, 2023, 10:13:26 AM9/14/23
to s-gr...@ti.com, ti-inn...@googlegroups.com, Dirk Ritschel
Hi Stephan,

lucky me, I ordered monday at Conrad and I got the drone Wednesday only the wifi-module I had to buy somewhere else.

Now everything is fine and Tello is flying.

Thanks for the links.
Have a good day

Hubert

Hubert Langlotz

Am 08.09.2023 um 08:44 schrieb Griebel, Stephan <s-gr...@ti.com>:

Hi Hubert,

I am jealous that you got your drone so  quickly. A while ago I ordered at Conrad and waited for months before I bought them somewhere else eventually. What was your source?

At the bottom of page https://education.ti.com/en/product-resources/tello-drone you find 2 coding activities “Getting your Wings” and “Four Square”. And there is a 10-min-of-code activity “Do more with Tello”. Does it help for start?

Thanks
Stephan

Texas Instruments Education Technology GmbH, Haggertystr. 1, D-85356 Freising. Amtsgericht München HRB 213636. Geschäftsführer: Andreas Schwaiger

Chhaya, Harshal S.

Sep 14, 2023, 10:17:14 AM9/14/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com, Griebel, Stephan, Ritschel, Dirk

Hubert – I apologize for these message not being posted till today.

They were (wrongly) caught in Google’s spam filter and it took manual intervention to “approve” them for posting.

I am glad to know that you have the Tello flying with your TI-Nspire CX II 👍🏽

Would love to know if you plan to use this in your classroom and what sorts of activities do you plan to do with the drone.

Best wishes,

- Harshal

Fotsch, Frederick

Sep 14, 2023, 4:46:11 PM9/14/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com, Griebel, Stephan, Ritschel, Dirk

Hi Hubert,

It sounds like you are off the ground with help from Hans-Martin. Is there anything I can help you with?

I look forward to hearing what you come up with.

Thanks,

Fred

Sep 15, 2023, 10:23:08 AM9/15/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

See https://education.ti.com/en/activities/ti-codes/python/ti-nspire-cx-ii/python-modules for a few introductory Tello activities.

I’m pretty sure that T3 Europe has a similar set of materials.

Regards,

     John

Ryan Tebble

Sep 15, 2023, 10:23:14 AM9/15/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com, Griebel, Stephan, Ritschel, Dirk
Awesome to hear that others are exploring with tello. I met with Peter Fox last month for a quick demo, and have managed to run some class activities, in math, physics and steam class.

I wish my school would allow purchase orders but for now, we are using one to demonstrate.

We did simple things, but the got tello off the ground, and flew/landed with controls, investigated a model of battery drain, simple obstacle courses, in 2d and 3d, plotting postions/velocities.

Had fun thus far, but still looking for those gotcha activities, but more time needed. Still playing at this point. Currently putting some effort into possible photogrammetry techniques...

If anyone has anything else, please share.