Compelling demos for STEM-night type events?

Chhaya, Harshal S.

May 3, 2024, 9:21:36 AMMay 3
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

Hi,

What are some cool and exciting demos that you have done using TI-Innovator Hub, TI-Rover, TI-RGB Array, sensors etc. for STEM/STEAM night type events?

These are somewhat challenging because people are strolling by and you need something that makes them pause. Also, they may be able to write a short program but there's usually not enough time for detailed programs.

TI-Rover's obstacle avoidance is a fun one where it runs in a loop on a table (w/ walls!) and reverses when it gets too close to a wall.

Any others?

Thanks,
- Harshal

--
Harshal S. Chhaya, Distinguished Member of Technical Staff (Emeritus)
Product Manager, STEM and robotics

Todd Graba

May 3, 2024, 9:50:24 AMMay 3
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Anything with sound and lights, such as the Hub or Hub with Array catches peoples attention as well. Then coding a quick song, making colors, etc... are generally fast and easy to work through.

Respectfully yours,

Todd Graba
STEM Division Leader
AVID Site Administrator
T3 Regional Instructor
Crystal Lake South High School
815-455-3860 x 3287
Twitter: @tgrabes17

"...talent sets the floor, but character sets the ceiling." - Adam Grant, Hidden Potential.

kh7...@gmail.com

May 4, 2024, 9:56:23 AMMay 4
to TI-Innovator for Education
Hi Harshal,
My STEM students and I would use some blue tape to lay out a course  on the floor for the TI-Rover to follow. One year, we used the Mars Mons Olympus map and have the Rover drive around it.  That was around the time Perseverance had landed there.

IMG_0371.jpeg

Karlheinz

Jody Crothers

May 5, 2024, 8:35:54 PMMay 5
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Hi
the Theremin using the ultrasonic ranger and the hub
The ranger and the servo, move close make something spin.
Could do the same with a rover waiting to be unleased or responding to the wave of a hand in front.
Rover drawing pictures is good. Change the change so the can draw small and people can take home a robotically created drawing.

Jody Crothers

Head of Learning Area (Mathematics)

Ridge View Secondary College

Western Australia

www.jodstar.com

May 6, 2024, 6:13:42 AMMay 6
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com, Michael Kolta

That reminds me:

  • use brightness sensor to make Rover move using a flashlight.
  • “Rockin’ Rover”: turn color into music using color sensor (Michae...@pba.edu).
  • Regards,

         John

Chhaya, Harshal S.

May 9, 2024, 11:24:23 PMMay 9
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

Last week I asked:

> What are some cool and exciting demos that you have done using TI-Innovator Hub, TI-Rover,

> TI-RGB Array, sensors etc. for STEM/STEAM night type events?

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas for demos at STEM-night type events.

Jody wrote:

> the Theremin using the ultrasonic ranger and the hub

> The ranger and the servo, move close make something spin.

> Could do the same with a rover waiting to be unleased or responding to the wave of a hand in front.

> Rover drawing pictures is good. Change the change so the can draw small and people can take home a robotically created drawing.

I love all these ideas!

I ended up with three different demos at a recent community event. And they were all pretty engaging.

I had TI-Rover with a color marker drawing shapes, a Dash robot being controlled through the TI Bluetooth Adapter and a song program playing a song on an external speaker thanks to Karlheinz's special OUT 1 -> Aux cable

All three made folks stop by the table, ask questions and get excited when they had the chance to write their own programs and saw the robots move etc. - all based on their programs. It was wonderful to see their faces! 😊

Thanks,

- Harshal