Music notes list

Jody Crothers

Jul 29, 2020, 9:12:53 AM7/29/20
to TI-Innovator
Hi All

I am running an intro to sound on the hub with some students tomorrow
SET SOUND etc

I want to use the notes, A B C D E F etc as well as the frequencies

Does anyone have a guide to the notes and scales I can use?

Jody Crothers

Head of Learning Area (Mathematics)

Ridge View Secondary College

Western Australia

www.jodstar.com

Chhaya, Harshal S.

Jul 29, 2020, 9:20:42 AM7/29/20
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

Jody,

Good to hear from you! And even better to learn about your Hub activity.

For the SOUND commands, you can specify the note using the note name and an octave. Example: A4, C5.

Note names are:

"C", "CS", "D", "DS", "E", "F", "FS", "G", "GS", "A", "AS", and "B".

And the octave numbers range from 1 to 9 (inclusive))

Regards,

- Harshal

Brad Posnanski

Jul 29, 2020, 9:30:22 AM7/29/20
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Jody,

Here is a document that I had made up for a session I was going to do at T3 with Karl and Ellen.  Maybe you can use it.  It has the notes and the frequencies for the notes as well.

Brad

Jul 29, 2020, 9:53:07 AM7/29/20
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

Attached is a frequency chart for 5 octaves.

I think it’s better to use frequencies rather than note strings like “AS4” because they are more easily calculated:

        note := 55*(2^(k/12))

for note k in the chart.

If you’re ambitious, you could create a list of note strings:

notes:={“A1”,”AS1”,”B1”,”C1”…}

And then refer to Notes[k]. (has anyone done this yet?

Typically, note durations are stored in a separate list:

duration:={1,.5,.25,.125,….} for whole, half quarter, eighth, etc. (not in this order but to match the note sequence)

Or

durationdenom:={1,2,4,8} and then use duration:=1/durationdenom[k]

Also, include tempo:

    duration[k]*tempo or duration[k]/tempo

Be Excellent,

     John

musical notes.jpg

Jody Crothers

Jul 29, 2020, 9:04:56 PM7/29/20
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Brad
I love your choice of music

Jody Crothers

Head of Learning Area (Mathematics)

Ridge View Secondary College

Western Australia

www.jodstar.com

Jul 29, 2020, 9:26:17 PM7/29/20
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Harshal

We are doing some light and sound in an afterschool STEM club today.
Thursday Australia time.

I plan to do some mood ring work this term.

it was the numbers I forgot
A4 not just A

When you switch from coding one thing to another remembering all the command nuisances is problematic.

Maybe we need a teacher cheat notes guide.

Which command for a servo
Sounds made easy
how do I convert ascii again
I want to read the colour using rover how do I do that again.
Else and ElseIF
IF Then how do they work again

With teachers and trainers have had a break in using the tech, quick refresher guide might be useful. With actual samples of code.

I know when revisit activities I often look at them going how did I do that.

cheers

Jody Crothers

Head of Learning Area (Mathematics)

Ridge View Secondary College

Western Australia

www.jodstar.com

Jul 31, 2020, 10:26:24 PM7/31/20
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Jody, see if these help.
Fred

Fred Ferneyhough
Texas Instruments National Instructor
4751 Mack Avenue, Plympton-Wyoming, Ontario, Canada
Piano_Keyboard_Reference_Guide_01.pdf
guitar notes.pdf

Jody Crothers

Aug 1, 2020, 7:30:35 AM8/1/20
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Fred
They are great.
Cheers
Jody

Sent from my iPad

On 1 Aug 2020, at 10:26 am, Fred Ferneyhough <fferne...@gmail.com> wrote:

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/ti-innovator/CAKNKyeG5YujkwbyM0QMcEk%2BJYjL7ygp4uG5FvsMGCSRtqGuufA%40mail.gmail.com.
<Piano_Keyboard_Reference_Guide_01.pdf>
<guitar notes.pdf>

Chhaya, Harshal S.

Sep 8, 2023, 6:41:49 AM9/8/23
to ti-inn...@googlegroups.com

Good morning Stacy,

I found this email from 3+ years ago that might help your “jukebox” activity.

Best wishes,

- Harshal