Thurmont IDPA Update

Cody Claxton

May 1, 2020, 6:19:32 PM5/1/20
to Thurmont IDPA
- May 10 Thumont IDPA Cancelled Due To Governor's Restrictions
- Bill Alrhed, Match Director for USPSA at Thurmont has passed away.

Except for South Carolina, action shooting in the Mid-Atlantic is still on-hold due to the State Orders. However, there are signs the stay-at-home and non-essential business orders are going to expire or be terminated.  And, while the virus has not been as lethal or put large numbers in the hospitals, the virus is still in circulation and it's entirely likely there will be a residual level of cases and some hot spots that will develop.

Because of our unique role in society, being prepared to defend our families, communities, State and Nation, we must keep ourselves healthy and strong and prepared. That means we need you to keep yourself and your family safe from this virus. And, that means following all the CDC and NIH guidelines. We want all our IDPA members to return to active shooting when this is over.

And, remember that IDPA is a community that can help. If you need help, ask your local IDPA club members. We share a unique bond unlike other communities since we have mustered the courage to defend ourselves and our families and our community. Don't be afraid to reach out if you need help.

Of course regular dry-fire practice would be a good way to keep your skills up while waiting for this to end. There are plenty of options available. But do make sure you triple-check the gun is empty before starting and keep loaded mags out of reach. On Facebook Shooting Performance has live and recorded coaching sessions which are highly recommended. https://www.facebook.com/groups/726430314112754/ There are plenty of other youtube videos to use for dry-fire practice.

Also, now may be the time to catch up on your reading. If you have not read the book Facing Violence, by Rory Miller, you really should read it. It serves as an excellent primer on self-defense and use of force, escalation, and use of lethal force. It is available on Amazon and Google Books as well as in print. He also has other books that are very useful.

And, try to do your best to exercise and stay in shape, for two big reasons:
1) Your shooting skills rely on good health and fitness;
2) Your ability to survive coronovirus and other diseases is dramatically improved if you keep up with your fitness.

God Bless and Best Wishes,
Cody Claxton
IDPA Area Coordinator

KEY DATES FOR STATE BY STATE RESTRICTONS:
- Delaware: Very restrictive Governors order expires May 15 but can be extended by the Governor. Beaches are closed, people who enter from other states must be quarantined for 14 days, non-essential travel restricted. Governor has said he would like to open the beaches on Memorial Day, May 25. Ranges are allowed to be open only for member and LEO practice. IHME predicts end of epidemic in Delaware by May 15: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/delaware
- Maryland: Very restrictive Governors order has no definite date of expiration. Ranges are allowed to be open only for members and LEO practice, most gun stores are open. Most ranges are closed, though. IHME predicts end of epidemic in Maryland by May 18: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/maryland
- Virginia: Restrictive Governors order has closed down all indoor ranges except for one that sued and won. VCDL has lawsuit to open all of them. Outdoor ranges are open only for members and LEO Practice. Gun stores are open. Non-essential businesses (including indoor gun ranges) are under restriction until May 8. Stay-at-home order expires June 10, although citizens have faced little enforcement activities. The Governor may end this order on a regional basis according to news reports. IHME predicts the end of Virginia epidemic May 19:   https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/virginia
- North Carolina: Very Restrictive Governor's order is scheduled to end May 8. Each county seems to have its own rule about whether a gun range is open or not. Most gun shops are open. Gun ranges are expected to be open for IDPA after May 8, although the Gov can extend it. IHME predicts the end of NC epidemic May 11: https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/north-carolina
- South Carolina: Less Restrictive Governor's orders are scheduled to end May 27. Gun ranges are now able to host IDPA matches, beaches are open, parks are opening, etc. People are still expected to follow CDC recommendations. IHME Predicts the end of SC epidemic to be June 12:  https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america/south-carolina

LATEST IDPA NEWS
- Delaware State Match is cancelled. Look for Next Year.

2nd Amendment Related

Putting a Neck Lock for Self Defense WATCH
P&S Terminal Ballistics Video: YouTube

22 Justified Concealed Carry Self-Defense Incidents in One Month
Hoods of DC to avoid: LINK
Lessons of analyzing 12,000 Gunfights: LINK

This man performed an "Unload And Show Clear" while trying to hold his hand over the ejection port. Stay Safe, don't do this.

Recommended Events & Links

- Link to brief video intro to Facing Violence, by Rory Miller, Book and DVD available. LINK

- Link to Facing Violence, By Rory Miller, a book laying the foundation of self-defense: LINK
- Shoot Logic, Self-Defense Training in S. Carolina
- Green-Ops Class Schedule:
LINK
- Greg Ellifritz's Self-Defense Articles: LINK
- FPF Concealed-Carry Training Schedule: LINK
- C4 Combatives and Combat Fitness Center, BJJ: LINK
- BEST Gunsmithing in VA/MD: J&L Gunsmithing
- IDPA Pistol Caliber Carbine Rules Announced, LINK
- What are the most popular IDPA Pistols? LINK
- 2017 Rulebook Questions and Answers: LINK
- How to draw a firearm from concealment, Part 1. Thanks To Green Ops.BLOG: LINK
- Krav Maga Maryland: LINK
- Krav Maga Virginia: LINK
- PoliceOne Article: Will Competition Get You Killed? LINK
- New BlueLivesMatter website: LINK
- How to Survive a Las Vegas Style Shooting: LINK
- Defender Tactical, David Altenburg Combative Handgun Training, WV, LINK
- Darryl Swiggett is offering handgun training, basic to advanced: darryl@sevententhsperformance.com