Thunderbird at Oneiric Ubuntu Developer Summit

Allison Randal

May 2, 2011, 6:01:15 AM5/2/11
to thunderb...@googlegroups.com
Are some of the Thunderbird developers attending UDS again next week?
Chris Coulson entered the proposal for Thunderbird as the default email
client in Oneiric (several of you are already subscribed to it):

https://blueprints.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+spec/desktop-o-default-email-client

It would be good to get an update on some of the technical issues of
switching defaults listed in that blueprint, especially: Gmail contacts,
calendaring, and Exchange integration.

A few advantages from my perspective that aren't listed in the blueprint:

- Thunderbird has better variation for different form factors of display
(small devices, etc)

- Thunderbird's more active development gives us better potential for
actually solving the problems of email, i.e. email is the single biggest
personal dataset for most users, but has the worst UI, the worst search,
the worst categorization, visualization, and intelligent action. (For
example, I'd be interested to see a Dash Lens for email content, pulling
from Thunderbird as the content provider.)

Allison

Chris Coulson

May 2, 2011, 6:08:00 AM5/2/11
to thunderb...@googlegroups.com

Hi Allison.

Both Blake Winton and Mike Conley will be attending (but not for the
entire week). Mike has been working on Unity integration recently, and
Blake is the Thunderbird UX lead.

Regards
Chris

signature.asc

Allison Randal

May 2, 2011, 6:15:22 AM5/2/11
On 05/02/2011 12:08 PM, Chris Coulson wrote:

> Both Blake Winton and Mike Conley will be attending (but not for the
> entire week). Mike has been working on Unity integration recently, and
> Blake is the Thunderbird UX lead.

Excellent! Looking forward to talking with you both, thanks for joining us!

Allison

Andreas Nilsson

May 2, 2011, 7:07:05 AM5/2/11
to thunderbird-unity
I'm coming there as well, from Monday to Saturday.
- Andreas

Mike Conley

May 2, 2011, 10:20:56 AM5/2/11
to thunderb...@googlegroups.com
Allison:

> Excellent! Looking forward to talking with you both, thanks for joining us!

Thanks for having us - we look forward to being there!

-Mike

--
http://www.mikeconley.ca