Debugging Serenity BDD + JBehave + Maven (failsafe plugin)

Santiago Sansone

Aug 7, 2017, 2:12:50 AM8/7/17
to Serenity BDD Users Group
Hello all,

In my job we are starting web automation testing with Serenity BDD using JBehave, the project is looking great so far and everything runs smooth but we are facing issues and we need to debug the run of the test, the problem is we can't get it yet. We are using Maven and Netbeans, we run the project with the goal:

clean verify serenity:aggregate -Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true

But tried to debug the project with several methods, our last try was:

clean verify serenity:aggregate -Dmaven.failsafe.debug="-Xdebug -Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=5005"

-DforkCount=0
-Djpda.listen=true
-Dmaven.test.failure.ignore=true
-Daddress=5005

This cause the test to start running, the debug mode set to Netbeans and the debug console open with the message:

Listening on 52974 (here the port changes every try)

At this point the breakpoints should be loaded and the automation should stop on them, but it doesn't happen.

So any help would be extremely useful.
And just for reference, the error we are trying to find out is why a working step that asserts a message on the web for a parametrized message does not work on another scenario (using the expected parameter).

My pom.xml is attached.

Thanks in advance,
Santiago.
pom.xml

John Smart

Aug 7, 2017, 4:54:12 AM8/7/17
to Santiago Sansone, Serenity BDD Users Group
Can you not just write a Java test runner for the test you want to debug and debug the tests that way? Debugging Maven is always a little tricky.

John Smart | Wakaleo Consulting  |  +44 7398 832273
Making smart teams collaborate better
http://johnfergusonsmart.com  |  john....@wakaleo.com

We love breaking down silos and helping smart teams collaborate better! Ask about our tailored on-site workshops in Agile Product Planning, BDD Requirements Discovery,  BDD, TDD and Clean Coding, and Advanced BDD Test Automation.

Need some help with Serenity BDD? Check out our Serenity BDD training and support packages here.