Suddenly IDE (both Eclipse, and IntelliJ) started showing a ton of framework classes being not found or not locatable.

Prasad Nutalapati

Nov 26, 2020, 3:38:11 AM11/26/20
to Serenity BDD Users Group

I am working on the latest serenity-cucumber-starter project to expand and convert to my Client project. All is working fine, except one webelement locator and suddenly both the IDE (both in Eclipse 2020-6 and IntelliJ community 2020-2 versions) are showing all the framework classes not being found errors, as shown below.
I tried Maven reload, mvn clean verify, and rebuild the project but none of them were useful
This certainly looks some thing with the tool not loading the pom file artifacts properly.
Any ideas how to restore the IDE to working as earlier ??
Thanks for the help.

/Users/pnutalapati/intelliJ-workspace/serenity-cucumber-starter-master/src/main/java/com/pk/navigate/pageobjects/NWNaturalWebLoginPage.java:3:24
java: package com.ibm.icu.impl does not exist
java: package net.serenitybdd.core.annotations.findby does not exist
java: package net.serenitybdd.core.pages does not exist
java: package net.serenitybdd.core.pages does not exist
java: package net.thucydides.core.annotations does not exist
java: package org.openqa.selenium does not exist

java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class PageObject
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class WebDriver
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class WebElementFacade
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class WebElementFacade
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class WebElementFacade
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class WebElementFacade
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class WebElementFacade
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class FindBy
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class FindBy
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class FindBy
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class FindBy
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: class FindBy
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: method open()
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: method getDriver()
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: method getDriver()
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage
java: cannot find symbol
symbol: variable Assert
location: class com.pk.navigate.pageobjects.NWNaturalWebLoginPage

Prasad Nutalapati

Nov 26, 2020, 12:37:42 PM11/26/20
to Serenity BDD Users Group
Hello All;
After so much struggle, shuffling between Eclipse and IntelliJ and finally IntelliJ giving me a clue that certain maven entry need to be added, then after doing that plus several classes selected to be  chosen to be imported (whose import statements are already present), the project came back to normalcy. Finally the project need to be Maven--> refresh project and rebuild the project. Now it is running again.
  1. What is the hell going on ?
  2. Why suddenly, a nicely running project gets screwed up and shows a bunch of classes not being found or not existing ?
  3. Why in the hell we need to readjust or re-add the maven dependencies through the IDE prompting ?
  4. Why the project need to be rebuilt again and again ?

Am I missing a crucial conceptual matter here ? Please advice me. This is frustrating and losing confidence in the framework as what if in the middle of the project implementation hell breaks loose and I can't move forward ? Is there a concept or fundamentals behind all this ?

Thanks for your time and advice.

Prasad Nutalapati