snclient

Sven Nierlein

Jul 5, 2023, 1:52:33 PM7/5/23
to Thruk
Dear Thruk Users,

today i want to introduce a new windows (and linux, osx, bsd) agent which we are currently writing to replace nsclient++.
This agent will read and understand the original nsclient.ini file format and mostly do the sames things. But in
a secure way with latest tls 1.3 and modern architecture. The agent is written in golang which makes it way more
maintainable.
Right now most of the basic checks are implemented and external scripts are working as well. Checks can be done
either by nrpe or via the rest api, ex.: with check_nsc_web.
Focus is on the windows part because we need to replace nsclient pretty soon but the linux, osx and bsd parts are
working as well.
Idea is to have a modern agent which can read and understand the existing ini files, so you don't have to change all
checks and still get the same data, but with with better security. For example you can store passwords encrypted in the
config file.

The agent can be found here:
https://github.com/ConSol-Monitoring/snclient
And there are msi, deb and rpm packages available for download.
There is some documentation here: https://omd.consol.de/docs/snclient/

There is no mailing list, but a discussion forum on github:
https://github.com/ConSol-Monitoring/snclient/discussions

Regards,
Sven