Once a Month Lunchbox

Lisa (TK)

Aug 24, 2008, 8:32:19 PM8/24/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
The kids and I are still talking about the "Bring vs. Buy" issue. On
Saturday, we bought a whole bunch of sandwich fixings & each girl made
15 sandwiches for herself which are now in the freezer. Then we did
the same with snacks (goldfish crackers, sunflower seeds, etc.). The
idea is that each morning they can grab a sandwich, a bag of snacks &
a piece of fruit & lunch is ready. We'll see how it goes this
week... They had fun making their own creations with flour tortillas,
pita bread, peanut butter, deli meats, cheeses, etc. and then mixing
bags of "trail mix." The whole thing cost about $30.00 less than I
would pay out of pocket for a month of school lunches & was actually a
fun activity for all of us - I'm encouraged.

Andrea Aguilar

Aug 25, 2008, 2:10:41 PM8/25/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
That is so funny! I can just see the "assembly" line now!! My kids were off
to school again today, and I had 2 lunches to make. It took me a good 1/2
hour, to run around and find all the snacks ( I hide them) so that we will
have them when we need them. I think I need to gather them all together to
be more organized. Lucky for me both girls take the same sandwich pretty
much every day, one likes Turkey and cheese, and one wants PB&J. Let me know
how the tortilla and pita bread "defrost". If they were still edible.

Andrea

Lisa (TK)

Aug 25, 2008, 9:05:39 PM8/25/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Yep - "assembly line" is just what it was, with me at the end wrapping
each sandwich in plastic wrap (different colors for each girl) as they
came off the line! The report from the girls today was positive - the
sandwiches defrosted just fine & tasted great!
> > fun activity for all of us - I'm encouraged.- Hide quoted text -

Marya

Aug 26, 2008, 2:24:15 AM8/26/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
I would have never thought of freezing a bunch of sandwiches. Great
idea.

mngb...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2008, 3:29:45 PM8/26/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
I missed the beginning of this discussion.

What are you freezing for lunches?

My daughter hates sandwhiches and I can not think of anything else to
give her that won't get gross by lunch time - such as tuna.

Thanks,
Michelle

Lisa (TK)

Aug 26, 2008, 4:21:26 PM8/26/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Hi Michelle!!! Here's the beginning of this thread:

"The kids and I are still talking about the "Bring vs. Buy" issue.
On
Saturday, we bought a whole bunch of sandwich fixings & each girl
made
15 sandwiches for herself which are now in the freezer. Then we did
the same with snacks (goldfish crackers, sunflower seeds, etc.). The
idea is that each morning they can grab a sandwich, a bag of snacks &
a piece of fruit & lunch is ready. We'll see how it goes this
week... They had fun making their own creations with flour
tortillas,
pita bread, peanut butter, deli meats, cheeses, etc. and then mixing
bags of "trail mix." The whole thing cost about $30.00 less than I
would pay out of pocket for a month of school lunches & was actually
fun activity for all of us - I'm encouraged."

In addition to our sandwich assembly line, I cooked some penne pasta &
then filled a regular muffin tin with pasta, sauce & some cheese on
top & froze these. Then I put the frozen "pasta muffins" in a freezer
bag. The kids can grab one or two of these, heat them in the
microwave, and then put in a thermos to take to school. The girls were
pretty into this project - they liked having some control over their
lunch selection!