Mexican Turkey Burgers

k40a

Sep 1, 2008, 12:48:01 AM9/1/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Did anyone make the Mexican Turkey Burgers? I had to say, of
everything I've made to date, I had the biggest doubts about this
going over with my kids. It was a real comedy of errors and we ended
up improvising at spots. I don't know if I did something wrong, but
the meat ended up being so over-saturated it was hard to get it into
patties. Then, I realized that I had forgotten about the bread crumbs,
so I improvised by using a rolling pin over a 1/4 full bag of tortilla
chips. Just as good as bread crumbs- maybe better! That helped to hold
them together and worked very well to taste. I used the BBQ instead
of the oven and, surprisingly, they didn't slip through the cracks. I
should have thought through the size of tortillas, because it was a
comedy show trying to get those things wrapped up with small
tortillas (maybe specify large tortillas in the ingredients list next
time?). BUT, after all that, SUCCESS! The kids (even my picky eater)
loved it. My 14 year old boy said they were better than regular
hamburgers!!! Yay! I liked them, too, but kept wishing I had
guacamole on hand.

Lisa (TK)

Sep 1, 2008, 11:25:46 AM9/1/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Hi Karen - so glad they worked out well for you! I wasn't paying
attention as I cooked and mixed the bread crumbs right in, then
realized they were supposed to go on the outside & added more. That
may have actually helped the texture. Trying to cook with kids &
friends running in & out, the dog getting in the trash, the phone
ringing, helping with homework...I bet Emeril doesn't have these extra
challenges!

We had mixed results in my house - me and my 8-year old daughter
really liked them, my husband took his apart & picked out every green
pepper, and my 12-year old daughter didn't like them. Anyway, I love
the tortilla chips idea- I will try that next time (as well as leave
out the green peppers!) And I agree - guacamole would have been the
perfect complement!

Lisa

Andrea Aguilar

Sep 1, 2008, 12:05:38 PM9/1/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
Dear Lisa,

OK with all the fuss about this recipe I must try it this week!! Let's see
what my family thinks of it.

Andrea

k40a

Sep 2, 2008, 2:06:00 AM9/2/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Yeah, Lisa, your house sounds about like mine. Add in a crying baby
and a few business lines ringing and that's my home too! I remembered
your comment about the green peppers and chopped them super fine so as
not to be detected by my picky eaters. It worked - no one noticed. I
still haven't told them they ate green peppers. What else can I hide
in there?

Lisa (TK)

Sep 2, 2008, 2:03:56 PM9/2/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
You can get away with alot with kids! My biggest problem is my
husband, who is "prejudiced" against certain vegetables and certain
other foods (fish and, I recently learned, meatloaf - a "texture"
thing apparently!) But he's a reasonably good sport and will let me
know when he likes something, & keep quiet when he doesn't. He is
willing to give just about anything a try. My kids are getting used
to seeing new foods on the table & don't whine about stuff just
because it is unfamiliar anymore. They've both discovered a liking
for fish, shrimp, broccoli, and for my older daughter, caramelized
onions are a new favorite!
> > > guacamole on hand.- Hide quoted text -

Michelle Bacon

Sep 2, 2008, 8:09:26 PM9/2/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
I made this dish as well and my family ate it no problem!

I too chopped up the bell pepper very finely (because I don't like it) and everything was smooth.

I think that if ANYTHING is chopped up finely, no one will notice :-)

--
Gary and Michelle Bacon
mngb...@gmail.com

Michelle Bacon

Sep 2, 2008, 8:36:29 PM9/2/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
This is funny because I replied in a differnt email and we too like the meal, however, I had to improvise because I missed some of the steps and used tortillas on the bottom and it turned out more like a mexican lasagna (if that is such a thing) than what it was supposed to be.

Needless to say, it was a HUGE hit at my house and I had left overs which I took to work and everyone wanted the recipe - although I would have to seriously think about because I improvised several times.

I'll let you know if I can re-invent this meal.