Shrimp Salad

Lisa (TK)

Aug 26, 2008, 12:28:56 PM8/26/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
I made the Shrimp Salad with Apricots & Cucumbers last night, & wasn't
super impressed, nor was the family. The dressing was kind of
flavorless. I think this is one to take off the rotation & replace
with a different shrimp salad. Any other opinions? The honey wheat
muffins were yummy though, & I froze several for snacks or more
lunchbox fodder!

JodySa...@gmail.com

Sep 1, 2008, 3:27:30 PM9/1/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
How about trying this instead...

Yummy Yummy Orzo Chicken Salad

* 1 cup orzo
* 1/2 t ground cumin
* 1 1/2 t chopped fresh parsley leaves
* 2 T chopped walnuts
* 8 oz smoked boneless chicken breast, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
* 4 c red grapes, halved
* 1/4 c pink grapefruit juice
* 1 T fresh lemon juice
* 1/4 c fresh lime juice
* 1/2 c packed fresh basil leaves, cut into thin strips
* 1/2 t curry powder

Cook orzo according to package directions. Stir in cumin and parsley
and salt to taste. Let cool to room temperature.

To toast walnuts, heat a dry pan over medium heat. Add walnuts and
shake or stir 6 or 7 minutes, until lightly browned.

In a bowl, toss chicken, grapes, juices, basil, and curry and salt and
pepper to taste.

Add orzo and chill! When ready to serve sprinkle salad with walnuts.

Lisa (TK)

Sep 2, 2008, 1:55:27 PM9/2/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Jody - this sounds terrific! Where did you find the recipe? I always
like to credit the source - thanks!

Lisa

On Sep 1, 12:27 pm, "JodySandb...@gmail.com" <JodySandb...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > lunchbox fodder!- Hide quoted text -

Lisa (TK)

JodySa...@gmail.com

Sep 2, 2008, 2:41:49 PM9/2/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
babysteals.com

Michelle Bacon

Sep 2, 2008, 8:19:34 PM9/2/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
I too did not have a homerun hit with this meal but I do like the idea of keeping a shrimp meal on the menu rotation because it does come on sale quite often and even my children love shrimp.
--
Gary and Michelle Bacon
mngb...@gmail.com

JodySa...@gmail.com

Sep 5, 2008, 12:32:15 AM9/5/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
This is a great easy shrimp recipe:

Spicy Shrimp Creole from Cooking for 2 magazine

1/3 cp. chopped
onion 1
tbs. Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cp. chopped
celery
1 tsp. sugar
1/3 cp. chopped green
pepper 1/2 tsp.
salt
1 tbs. canola
oil
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1 garlic clove,
minced
Dash hot pepper sauce
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained 1/2
lb. uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 can (8 oz) tomato
sauce Hot cooked
rice, optional

In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery, and green pepper in oil
until tender. Add garlic; saute 2 minutes longer. Stir in the
tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, sugar, salt, chili
powder and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened.
Add shrimp; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve
with rice if desired. Yield: 2 servings