Japanese Beef Bowl, and San Diego Wildlife

1 view

Lisa (TK)

Aug 28, 2008, 12:38:17 PM8/28/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Hi everyone - we're almost to the long weekend! We found a tarantula
in our backyard yesterday - apparently they are native to the area.
I've lived in SoCal for 40 years & never seen one before, but I guess
there's a first time for everything. Rachel took it for show & tell
in a tupperware container (I brought it home right after!)

Anyway, the Japanese beef bowl was a disappointment - it sounded SO
good, but didn't have enough flavor. I think I could doctor it up a
bit. My kids liked it, probably because it was plainer.

I'm going to announce our forum on Monday, so we may get some other
subscribers joining our discussions.

Also, I'm doing a sort of "silent" introduction of plans for most of
the Western states this week. I wanted to be sure it was do-able
before I start to market in other areas. So now TK will cover about
1/3 of the US! That's plenty for now!

How did everyone's week go?

Lisa

Marya Chuong

Aug 28, 2008, 12:44:38 PM8/28/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lisa,
I'm curious what you would suggest to doctor it up...that's what we're having tonight!

We had the Mexican Burgers last night which were decent, and the chicken nuggets and pototo wedges the night before which were pretty good (I actually made up 4 batches on Sunday night - I felt so productive!).  One note - I used a batch of chicken that had breast and thigh meat - my husband and I both prefer dark meat, however, for the nuggets we both agree the the white meat tastes much better.

Good luck on your national launch!

Marya
--
Marya Chuong
www.maryalenn.com

Lisa (TK)

Aug 28, 2008, 12:51:08 PM8/28/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
I would do a couple things - one is make the sauce first, and marinate
the meat in it for an hour or so to let the flavor soak in more.
Also, we like things with a little kick, so I would add a little
something hot like chili sauce, cayenne pepper, etc. Even as written,
it was good, just not as good as I had hoped - I'll be interested to
hear your thoughts tomorrow!
> Marya Chuongwww.maryalenn.com- Hide quoted text -

Andrea Aguilar

Aug 28, 2008, 1:11:25 PM8/28/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
Did you see that I posted my profile? I hope it was OK.
I am busy packing we are moving this Saturday, local move thank goodness.
Just downsizing out of this huge house. No need for so much for just the
"girls" now. Hopefully, cox cable will have my computer up an running
Saturday afternoon.

Take care,
Andrea

Michelle Bacon

Aug 28, 2008, 7:50:44 PM8/28/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
I am replying straight to this email and am wondering who gets it. Is it just you Lisa or does everyone get it.

I have to admit that I am a little new to the forum idea and not quite sure how it works.

I have taken many online college classes, but every forum is different and takes some getting used to.

Love the idea of constant communication on recipes and how to change/improve them!

--
Gary and Michelle Bacon
mngb...@gmail.com

Lisa (TK)

Aug 28, 2008, 9:01:32 PM8/28/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Hi Michelle - it goes to all, and is posted on the forum. You can
change your preferences so that you get each item emailed to you as it
is posted, or you can get one email per day with all the posts, or you
can elect not to get any email, but just log in to read everything. I
believe you click "Edit my membership" on the right column. So glad
to have you as a panelist!
> mngba...@gmail.com- Hide quoted text -

Lisa (TK)

Aug 28, 2008, 9:02:33 PM8/28/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Hi Andrea - your profile is great! Thanks so much for participating.
Good luck with your move!

Lisa
> > Lisa- Hide quoted text -

Andrea Aguilar

Aug 28, 2008, 10:34:10 PM8/28/08
to thrifty-ki...@googlegroups.com
I received this email.

Andrea

k40a

Aug 29, 2008, 1:39:15 PM8/29/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
The beef bowl was a hit in our home and I loved that I could mix the
broccoli in and the kids didn't mind eating it! My kids said it
tasted like Panda Express! Best of all, it was very simple and quick
to make. We'll make it again, for sure! I think you are right, Lisa,
that it's a more kid-friendly dish because it's not too spicy. I was
okay with it, but would take a suggestion on how to spice my bowl up
without changing the recipe for the kids.

Karen
Message has been deleted

Lisa (TK)

Aug 29, 2008, 3:40:56 PM8/29/08
to Thrifty Kitchen Forum
Thanks Karen and Marya! Glad it went over well - I'll keep it on the
menu & add a 1-hour marinade to the instructions. It was a nice easy
dish & I like the "rooster sauce" idea so I can spice mine up without
changing it for the kids.

We made a big old ham last night that I'd had in the freezer since
Easter! My husband is always happiest when dinner is just a big hunk
of meat, sigh... he also picked each and every piece of green pepper
out of his Mexican turkey burger a couple nights ago, extra sigh...

Now you can see why I need feedback from others!! Have a fabulous
long weekend!

Lisa