Nationals Roundup

1 view

Peter van Dyk

Sep 29, 2014, 3:21:53 AM9/29/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com

Hey all, I'll have the full results up shortly, but the basics are:

1st - Fouche van Tonder from The Cabal in Pretoria, who eked out his win because he got a bonus point for having one of the two best painted armies. (This happens again and again, the difference between 1st place and a lower spot is all in the painting guys!) To Boot, he leapfrogged the 2nd and 3rd places because they drew their game on the last round, allowing him to catch up a point :)

Fouche played a Dark Eldar list (the deep-striking sub-army), and did actually lose 1 game.

2nd - Giles Embelton from 3+ in Randburg, who had his 2x imperial knight list get itself into some very interesting situations (including killing a Transcendent C'tan by exploding!) he lost out on first because he didn't have as many objective VPs as Fouche did in the end.

3rd - Nigel Perry from Cape Town - who fell just below the 1st and 2nd places but outstripped everyone else by a healthy margin. Nigel brought a very strong pressure-based custom ork biker list which gave a lot of his opponents real headaches!

I was a little sad to see only 17 players make it through for the tournament, but I understand it being a new edition and a competitive-build tournament and being in September led to a lot of players being unable to attend.

On other notes, the 7th ed formatted to 1500 points, 5 games and two books limiting army design worked out very nicely. Of the lists on display, most of them were very well designed, and all of them were painted up - which was great to see.

It turns out we didn't need to bother putting a limiter on summoning as psykers mostly went for the army buffing or assault powers rather than the summoning ones. Similarly, the list of big things that were at the tournament included:

4x Necron Transcendent C'Tan

1x Nid Harridan

3x Imperial Knights

Out of 17 players, that's a healthy number of big nasties - most of the remaining players brought dataslates, allies, etc; with only 2 players fielding stand-alone codex armies.

Thanks to the guys from THUG who supplied the venue and the prizes, everything went really well and it turned out nicely for all :)

Thanks again to those that attended, and i'll see you at the next one!

Cheers

Pete

Jan du Toit

Sep 29, 2014, 8:30:09 AM9/29/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com
Wow, DE finishing first. Go Fouchè! (What's with Pretoria people having surnames as names already?)

Do you remember a vague breakdown of his list at all?

Peter van Dyk

Sep 29, 2014, 8:39:50 AM9/29/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com

Not even remotely I’m afraid – there were a couple of ravagers and a few venoms, some jetbikes and sathonyx is all I recall seeing.

Peter van Dyk

Publisher

Modern Media Publishing

Mobile: +27 82 555 9611

Office: +27 11 326 4171

E-mail: pe...@modernmedia.co.za

Ryan Kidson

Sep 29, 2014, 8:52:43 AM9/29/14
to thre...@googlegroups.com

He had in a formation that allowed all the raiders and reavers to deep strike without scatter first turn, the raiders to count as flyers the turn they came in, the raiders also hit on 2+ when shooting when they came in.

3 raiders. 1 with archon ( shadow field, husk blade), some trueblasters and hammie. 2 raiders with splinter racks, 10 inside, 2 blasters each I think? All raiders had disintegraters and flickerfields. 3x3 units of reavers with one St6 melta gun each.

Talos

Ravager all lances

5 wyches with haywire in venom

razorwing with disintegrators, splinter cannon, St6 missiles