[Tsan] When will epochs be added and how this rule will be set

847567161

Apr 29, 2024, 7:58:46 AMApr 29
to thread-sanitizer
Hello guys,
  I'm working on tsan and have a few questions:
  Q1: How do we know when we need to increase epoch? How we designed it
  Q2: When will we do the clock sync, is there a list?

Looking forward to your reply.

Regards,
 Chuang

Dmitry Vyukov

May 6, 2024, 2:15:11 AMMay 6
to 847567161, thread-sanitizer
On Mon, 29 Apr 2024 at 13:58, '847567161' via thread-sanitizer
<thread-s...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> Hello guys,
> I'm working on tsan and have a few questions:
> Q1: How do we know when we need to increase epoch? How we designed it

Hi Chuang,

Tsan should increment thread's epoch before each synchronization
release operation (mutex unlock, atomic-store-release).

> Q2: When will we do the clock sync, is there a list?

Grepping of source code for corresponding functions will provide the
best list. There is no special list outside of the source code.