About TSAN V3

Sath Prakash Chimmani

Feb 13, 2024, 4:00:13 PMFeb 13
to thread-sanitizer
I want to understand the key differences between v2 and v3, I have been going through the changes described in link but I am not able to understand the optimisation or how thread slots are working. I want to understand threadsanitizer's implementation as part of my research. If anyone who is in well sync can you help me out please?

Dmitry Vyukov

Feb 20, 2024, 5:21:58 AMFeb 20
to Sath Prakash Chimmani, thread-sanitizer
On Tue, 13 Feb 2024 at 22:00, Sath Prakash Chimmani <spchi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I want to understand the key differences between v2 and v3, I have been going through the changes described in link but I am not able to understand the optimisation or how thread slots are working. I want to understand threadsanitizer's implementation as part of my research. If anyone who is in well sync can you help me out please?

Hi Sath,

The key differences are listed in the commit descriptions:

  • 2x smaller shadow memory (2x of app memory)
  • faster fully vectorized race detection
  • small fixed-size vector clocks (512b)
  • fast vectorized vector clock operations
  • unlimited number of alive threads/goroutimes

If you need bitter implementation details, then the best description at the moment is the source code.