Fw: [Texas Eagle Forum] School Board member on VICTORY

Larry Rice

Mar 30, 2009, 12:18:12 AM3/30/09
to thoughts...@googlegroups.com

--- On Sun, 3/29/09, Cathie Adams <cathi...@texaseagle.org> wrote:
From: Cathie Adams <cathi...@texaseagle.org>
Subject: [Texas Eagle Forum] School Board member on VICTORY
To: larry....@att.net
Date: Sunday, March 29, 2009, 9:13 PM

Friends, Please do NOT MISS the last line.
Cathie Adams

Huge Education Victory for Texas Students

"If our students do not feel the freedom to simply raise their hand and ask a question in science class, then we are no longer living in the United States of America."

                                                  Ken Mercer, Texas State Board of Education (SBOE)

Common sense, combined with the pressure of at least 14,000 constituent communications in favor of allowing students to discuss all sides of a science theory, finally prevailed.

On Thursday I made the motion to restore the twenty year standard of "Strengths and Weaknesses" to the new science TEKS (standards) for the next ten years of textbooks.  This motion failed by a 7-7 vote.

The radical liberals, Darwinists, atheists and secular humanists attending from around the country quickly claimed victory to the army of national print and television media present.

By Friday afternoon their language "evolved" to words and remarks that cannot be put in print.

Friday morning, my fellow conservative board member Cynthia Dunbar (R- Richmond) proposed a final amendment to the new “analyze and evaluate” language. After two slight language amendments to Dunbar’s motion from Bob Craig (R- Lubbock) and Barbara Cargill (R- Woodlands), the SBOE passed the final TEKS language regarding science curriculum by a vote of 13-2.

This historic decision for the new science TEKS for grades 3-12, includes all areas of science such as Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Science, Astronomy and Aquatic biology.

The language passed with the following statement: (underlined items are for my emphasis).

In all fields of science, analyze, evaluate, and critique scientific explanations by using empirical evidence, logical reasoning, and experimental and observational testing including examining all sides of scientific evidence of those scientific explanations so as to encourage critical thinking by the students.

Clearly, the important Legislative Intent is to protect the academic freedom of Texas students.  Our students should no longer feel "chilled" from discussion by those in authority who mIght claim there is no diagreement or weakness in a scientific theory.

Every Conservative group present, including Texas Eagle Forum and the Free Market Foundation, applauded this new language as a huge victory for Texas students.

Texas School Law Attornery, Kelly Coghlan, while disappointed that the important word "weaknesses" was deleted, stated:

"Textbooks and teachers will be required to teach “all sides” (scientific evidence both for and against and supportive and not supportive) of a scientific theory.  I believe the new language implicitly requires that weaknesses be taught and is just as strong as the old language."

Yes, I realize the Texas statewide print media apparently once again "got it wrong."  But it was perfecly clear to anyone on the floor of the SBOE that our liberal opposition was not happy.

Perhaps the website headline for the conservative Texans for Better Science Education describes it best:

"Darwinist monopoly on public schools decisively broken  in Texas...Darwinists confused...Militant Secular Humanists are outraged."

The Wall Street Journal reported on Saturday:

"The Texas Board of Education approved a science curriculum that opens the door for teachers and textbooks to raise doubts about evolution."

In conclusion, my favorite memory was a remark from one of the California atheists who sat behind my desk on the floor of the SBOE.  After we passed one historic amendment after another, this atheist cried out: "Oh my God!"

Hon. Ken Mercer
Member: Texas State Board of Education
P.O. Box 781301  San Antonio, Texas  78278-1301