Idea - Vacuum assisted breadbin

Paul Silver

Sep 13, 2009, 12:07:11 PM9/13/09
to ThoughtPipe
Hi,

A potentially pointless idea I had this morning - a breadbin with some
sort of lining inside. When you close the lid, a pump evacuates the air
to push the liner around the bread. Getting rid of the air helps the
bread to keep for longer.

It wouldn't be vacuum sealing, I don't think it would need to be that
strong to be helpful. Potentially it could be done by pumping air in to
the space between the liner and the breadbin, rather than pumping out
air from the center of the bin - this would avoid crumbs fouling the
pump.

Madness?

Cheers

Paul
--
Paul Silver - tel: 01273 906020 or mobile: 07813 654285
Web Development: http://www.paulsilver.co.uk

Alastair James

Sep 13, 2009, 5:45:07 PM9/13/09
to thoug...@googlegroups.com
Actually thats not at all pointless. Its a real problem that just
about everybody in the world faces everyday.

Its a bit like those press and seal Tupperware containers. I wonder
how long bread keeps in one of those? It may be a nice benchmark to
see what the potential is.

As a mock up, you could create a box based on a tupperware container
and one of those small wine pumps. Just make a wine bottle spout sized
hole in the box and fit the wine stopper....

I feel a dragons den moment coming on.

Alex Farran

Sep 14, 2009, 6:53:11 AM9/14/09
to thoug...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:45 PM, Alastair James <al.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I feel a dragons den moment coming on.

Allow me to be Duncan Bannatyne for a moment then

I have a vacuum sealed coffee jar that comes with a little pump. I
don't use it any more because a) it's a pain to pump all the air out
every time you make coffee b) the coffee tasted just the same c) I
don't think the vacuum seal is all that good after a while d) I now
buy coffee beans and have a little electric grinder that looks a bit
like a dalek and is brilliant.

And I put my bread in the fridge.

So I'm out.

--