Is OTA with microPython available on ESP 8266?

Enzo Pontone

Oct 21, 2020, 5:48:47 PM10/21/20
to thonny

Hi, anyone knows is I can perform script OTA updates to multiple ESP 8266 boards using microPython (Thonny)?
I know this can be done by Arduino IDE but what about Thonny or other ways?
Thanks for any hint.

Aivar Annamaa

Oct 22, 2020, 10:06:34 AM10/22/20
to thonny
Hi!

Thonny has experimental support for WebREPL, which allows editing and running scripts over WiFi (select "<webrepl>" from the port field in the configuration page of ESP32 or 8266), but currently it is not very reliable. I hope to improve this in the upcoming version 3.3.

I'm pretty sure Thonny will never include special support for updating multiple boards (it is an IDE for beginners, after all). I suggest you ask about other solutions in MicroPython forum.

Best regards,
Aivar

Enzo Pontone

Oct 22, 2020, 10:59:58 AM10/22/20