How to Install on AWS/Azure for my students to access Thonny

Nakul Gupta

Oct 5, 2020, 5:05:51 AM10/5/20
to thonny
Dear All

I love thonny and especially the user logs it generates to help my students how to code. I want to install thonny on AWS/Azure so that they can simple go to the url and start working on thonny. File pre-save with their names will be there. They open file with their name and start learning. After every session we would collect their user log and give them detailed analysis of how they can do programming in python better.

Any help to achieve this will be highly appreciated.

Thanks you

Nakul

Aivar Annamaa

Oct 5, 2020, 6:12:42 AM10/5/20
to thonny
Hi!

Thonny 3.3 (currently in beta) can work with a remote Python over SSH. When the SSH back-end is selected (Run => Select interpreter), then the user can open remote files for editing (View => Files, or File => Open) and running. The user logs will remain in the local computer, though. Maybe these features can take you closer to your goal?

Best regards,
Aivar

Aivar Annamaa

Oct 5, 2020, 6:13:06 AM10/5/20
to thonny

Nakul Gupta

Oct 5, 2020, 9:00:40 AM10/5/20
to thonny
Thanks for the prompt reply Aivar.

It partly solves what we intent to achieve. What would really help us is that as a teacher I want to access the student logs (ideally during the class or at max after each session ends) automatically. If the user logs are stored on local machine then we have to ask the student to email with us the same every-time.

To make the learning experience a little better, we wanted to install Thonny on a cloud server and ask students to access it from there so that the user logs are automatically sent to us.

Another workaround we are thinking is using dropbox with Zapier to email us the file automatically when a new userlog is created. But if possible would request for a simpler way to achieve the same.

Also, is there a glossary wherein we can see what does each action/event in the log means? Also, can't be also log the errors/outputs that a user/student sees once he/she is running the code and have it as a part of log?

Thanks and sorry for troubling.

Its just that we see so much potential in Thonny in changing the way how we can help students become a better coder so we thought to reach out to you and the community for help.

Best Regards
Nakul