Thonny on macOS Big Sur

Roger Meier

Aug 7, 2020, 7:32:08 PM8/7/20
to thonny
Hi,

I just got access to the macOS Big Sur public beta, and there seems to be an issue with the rendering of the main window. Instead of the actual window, I only see a transparent frame (see attached screenshot). Has anybody else observed this? I only have one Mac that has been upgraded to macOS Big Sur. So, I don't have another point of reference.
Thonny on macOS Big Sur.png

Aivar Annamaa

Aug 8, 2020, 2:03:17 AM8/8/20
to thonny
This has been reported before:  https://twitter.com/JacobAn45206806/status/1284972238421127168 but I don't have access to Big Sur myself (my Mac is too old).

Do you have separate Python with IDLE on this machine? Does IDLE work? It uses same UI framework as Thonny.

Best regards
Aivar

Roger Meier

Aug 8, 2020, 7:27:31 PM8/8/20
to thonny
Yes, IDLE "works" (sort of). There is noticeable window flickering when the IDLE window is being resized manually. It does sometime become translucent like Thonny, and sometimes the window contents aren't properly refreshed after resizing, but simply by switching to another app (i.e. removing focus from the IDLE window) the contents are refreshed. Thonny, on the other hand, remains translucent, regardless of whether it has focus or not.
This was not the case prior to Big Sur, and the flickering in IDLE may provide a clue. Perhaps all that is needed is a forced refresh at certain events.

I'd be happy to help with testing on Big Sur beta if needed.

Roger

Aivar Annamaa

Aug 9, 2020, 2:12:24 AM8/9/20
to thonny
I wouldn't rush to find a solution yet, as the next Big Sur beta or the next Python release (eg. Python 3.9 RC1) may fix it. If they don't, I'd be happy to use your help in testing.

Best regards,
Aivar

Aivar Annamaa

Aug 12, 2020, 5:23:59 AM8/12/20
to thonny
Roger, the first release candidate of Python 3.9 was just published (https://www.python.org/ftp/python/3.9.0/python-3.9.0rc1-macosx10.9.pkg). Can you please check whether IDLE works better in this version? If it does, then there is hope that Thonny gets fixed as well after I bundle it with Python 3.9

Best regards,
Aivar

Roger Meier

Aug 12, 2020, 8:29:30 PM8/12/20
to thonny
Hi Aviar,

Python 3.9rc1 behaves the same on macOS 11 so far (there hasn't been a new public beta yet). I took a screen capture (attached) to show the issue

Regards,

Roger
Python 3.9.0rc1 (IDLE) on macOS 11 Public Beta (20A5343j).mp4

Aivar Annamaa

Aug 13, 2020, 2:41:29 AM8/13/20
to Roger Meier, thonny
Roger, could you please report this IDLE issue on Python bug tracker: https://bugs.python.org/  ?
There are people who would take this seriously and who are more qualified in tracking down macOS problems than me.

If you don't want to create an account, then I can create the issue myself, but it would be better if it was you, as they may ask for additional details.

Best regards
Aivar

rogerro...@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2020, 2:38:48 AM8/14/20
to thonny

Aivar Annamaa

Aug 25, 2020, 7:05:26 AM8/25/20
to thonny
Roger, it looks like another app with similar problem was fixed by latest beta. See the latest comments at https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/975577/epic-games-launcher-broken-on-macos-big-sur-beta-4.html

Have you tried Big Sur Beta 5 yet?

Best regards,
Aivar

rogerro...@gmail.com

Aug 26, 2020, 1:56:52 AM8/26/20
to thonny
Hi Aivar,

Yes, I just upgraded to the latest Big Sur public beta today, and it fixes the window rendering issue in both Thonny as well as IDLE.

Cheers,

Roger