Upgrading and re-indexing

Walter Davis

Dec 22, 2020, 4:20:50 PM12/22/20
to Thinking Sphinx
I've been upgrading an app from 5.1 to 5.2 (on its way to 6.1), and moved from ts 4.2.0 to 5.0.0. I am using MySQL 8.0.21 (home-brew) and Sphinx 2.2.11 on my development box.

I've updated my models to use the new syntax for real-time indexing. My indexes look just like the ones in the quick-start guide.

I have been trying to reindex an existing database, using

```
tardis:lf-smith waltd$ rake ts:clear
tardis:lf-smith waltd$ rake ts:rebuild
Sphinx 2.2.11-id64-release (95ae9a6)
Copyright (c) 2001-2016, Andrew Aksyonoff
Copyright (c) 2008-2016, Sphinx Technologies Inc (http://sphinxsearch.com)

using config file '/Users/waltd/Documents/sandbox/lf-smith/config/development.sphinx.conf'...

stop: successfully sent SIGTERM to pid 95642

[nothing more happens here, no matter how long I leave it running]
```

If I kill that and try to start TS with rake ts:rt:start, it starts right up (with empty indexes) and my Rails app seems to work fine until I try to save a new document. Then I get a huge stack trace with the only readable bits being `ThinkingSphinx::SphinxError: Unknown MySQL error` and `Innertube::Pool::BadResource: Innertube::Pool::BadResource`.

Does this remind you of anything? What else can I show here to help you help me diagnose this?

Thanks in advance,

Walter

Jeremy Meigs

Dec 22, 2020, 4:40:50 PM12/22/20
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walter,

I believe MySQL 8 is the issue. Downgrading to 5.7 should fix this? For what it's worth I always use Percona's builds and tools which are fabulous.

Long thread here I found:

Jeremy

Walter Davis

Dec 22, 2020, 4:50:03 PM12/22/20
to Thinking Sphinx
Thanks! I de-installed sphinx and installed manticoresearch, and it works great here on my local dev Mac.

Walter

Justin Underwood

Dec 23, 2020, 4:43:56 AM12/23/20
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Dear Walter,

Have you tried

rake ts:configure
rake ts:rebuild

?

That works for me.

Importantly, I needed MySQL 5.7 installed with Homebrew to get this to work.

Then I needed to
gem install mysql2
with a lot of flags and paths. I can send you the code for this if you need it. It is a long piece of code.

Also I added an
export PATH
command to
.bash_profile
which allows me to run
mysql -u root.

I am no expert at programming and I was fortunate to get help with this myself.

Yours,

Justin Underwood

Walter Lee Davis

Dec 23, 2020, 7:43:32 AM12/23/20
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks. Installing Manticore (with Homebrew) in place of Sphinx on my Mac made this all work, without needing to downgrade MySQL or jump through any hoops.

Walter