Surviving a server restart

Walter Lee Davis

Aug 6, 2018, 7:56:18 PM8/6/18
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
For the umpteenth time in the past 8 years this app has been in production, the server restarted and TS failed to restart along with the rest of app. I am using this very specific branch:

remote: git://github.com/pat/thinking-sphinx.git
revision: de070904a8d1a5958be9d5d6ad162419cc443690
ref: de070904a8
branch: develop
specs:
thinking-sphinx (3.1.2)
activerecord (>= 3.1.0)
builder (>= 2.1.2)
innertube (>= 1.0.2)
joiner (>= 0.2.0)
middleware (>= 0.1.0)
riddle (>= 1.5.11)

Which for historical reasons, I am loath to change. The server is a Joyent SmartMachine, and I cannot change anything about it because the image is no longer supported. I don't have a budget (although I am negotiating for one) to really overhaul the hosting.

Can anyone suggest a way to (maybe with an initializer in the Rails app) get the rake task ts:start to run when the app initializes, maybe checking first to see if Sphinx is running? I have tried using a cron job to poke at it periodically, but that seems to have stopped working too.

Thanks,

Walter

Pat Allan

Aug 7, 2018, 8:40:49 AM8/7/18
to thinkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Walter,

I’m not quite sure what the best approach is for your setup - getting things to run on boot on Linux machines is something I’m gradually getting the hang of (via scripts in /etc/init.d/), but perhaps your server is running Solaris? (I have a vague memory that is/was the platform of choice for Joyent) - so I’m less certain.

All that said: `ts:start` can be called whether Sphinx is running or not. If it’s already running, it won’t do anything (provided it can find the pid file reliably). So maybe a cron job that runs that is good enough?

Cheers,

Pat
> --

signature.asc