dead or alive?

al...@shafir.net

Jan 25, 2009, 12:27:49 PM1/25/09
to thinkerlang
this place I mean, haven't seen any kicking for quite a while :-(

Joel Reymont

Jan 25, 2009, 12:31:35 PM1/25/09
to think...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 25, 2009, at 5:27 PM, al...@shafir.net wrote:

> this place I mean, haven't seen any kicking for quite a while :-(

I can't lead at the moment, busy trying to make a living.

No Erlang projects since mid-summer so I'm diversifying into other
areas.

Just being honest...

---
http://twitter.com/wagerlabs

Michele Sciabarra

Jan 25, 2009, 12:49:08 PM1/25/09
to think...@googlegroups.com
Joel Reymont wrote:
> On Jan 25, 2009, at 5:27 PM, al...@shafir.net wrote:
>

>> this place I mean, haven't seen any kicking for quite a while :-(
>>

> I can't lead at the moment, busy trying to make a living.
>
> No Erlang projects since mid-summer so I'm diversifying into other
> areas.

Joel, you are pretty well known in the Erlang mailing list, so I think
everyone is asking: why?
Do you think that the erlang momentum is gone forever, or is the big
ecomic crunch that make people to focus on core business and stop
experimenting with new things (for now, I hope)...?

Joel Reymont

Jan 25, 2009, 12:57:19 PM1/25/09
to think...@googlegroups.com

On Jan 25, 2009, at 5:49 PM, Michele Sciabarra wrote:

> Joel, you are pretty well known in the Erlang mailing list, so I think
> everyone is asking: why?

People are hiring from time to time but they want to hire full-time
and I can't fault them.

Erlang is going mainstream, there's a wealth of information available
and people are realizing that it's easy to pick up, without the need
for expensive consulting.

External help, no matter how expensive, matters when performance is at
stake. The general mindset is that performance doesn't matter, though,
since you can always throw more hardware at a problem. Erlang makes
this approach easier by virtue of scaling. It's also faster than Ruby
and this keeps people happy.

I'm going the other way, to Forth and Assembler, on mobile and
embedded devices. iPhone is another example of a device where
performance still matters.

---
http://twitter.com/wagerlabs