going forth

Joel Reymont

Dec 1, 2008, 12:23:50 PM12/1/08
to think...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:12 PM, grant michaels wrote:

> I imagine that you'll probably have to go forth "on spec" a little
> bit, so that there is something online to show people whom we might
> recommend join up ...

Two options here:

1) Build on Django or Rails and be done faster. Convert to Erlang later.

2) Build slowly from the ground up, in Erlang.

There's still the question of what the online home of The Erlang
Journal should look like. A blog? A forum? A mix of the two?

I want to encourage two-way communication. I like ideas, for example,
please keep them coming! A blog would not enable you to post your
ideas but a forum would.

The forum would need to be modded to show, perhaps, an excerpt of the
first message in each thread and enable members-only access to the
rest. This way people can register and browse past topics before
deciding to subscribe.

I would also like the ability to rate posts/threads, submit ideas up
for vote, etc.

Thanks, Joel

Matthew Kanwisher

Dec 1, 2008, 12:29:54 PM12/1/08
to think...@googlegroups.com
Curious why you are building a site in django? There are plenty of off the shelf things for this kind of site, why not just focus on Erlang content instead of building yet another cms.

~Matt

Joel Reymont

Dec 1, 2008, 12:40:01 PM12/1/08
to think...@googlegroups.com
On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Matthew Kanwisher wrote:

> Curious why you are building a site in django? There are plenty of
> off the shelf things for this kind of site, why not just focus on
> Erlang content instead of building yet another cms.

I don't need a CMS but do want flexibility to add ratings, votes,
social bits, etc. I don't want to do it in PHP and I like Django a bit
more than Rails. There are forum and blog apps for Django.

Is this a good explanation?

justin worrall

Dec 1, 2008, 12:47:57 PM12/1/08
to think...@googlegroups.com
If we were to chose option 1) [build in Django / convert to Erlang later], what would we do as the first sample Erlang project ? Could we dive straight into a stock exchange ?

Joel Reymont

Dec 1, 2008, 1:00:30 PM12/1/08
to think...@googlegroups.com

On Dec 1, 2008, at 5:47 PM, justin worrall wrote:

> If we were to chose option 1) [build in Django / convert to Erlang
> later], what would we do as the first sample Erlang project ? Could
> we dive straight into a stock exchange ?

Wouldn't a stock exchange be sort of like diving off the deep end...
right away?

Plus, it would need some kind of a web interface.

Building up slow may be the way to go.

Toby DiPasquale

Dec 1, 2008, 1:05:05 PM12/1/08
to think...@googlegroups.com

I agree. My vote is to stick with the CMS-in-Erlang building plan for
the initial saga of articles.

--
Toby DiPasquale

justin worrall

Dec 1, 2008, 1:54:50 PM12/1/08
to think...@googlegroups.com
Right .. just checking! Sounds like you're saying the Django clone would be a good first project .. in which case I vote for option 2) [build in Erlang]

Eli Liang

Dec 2, 2008, 8:29:53 PM12/2/08
to thinkerlang
I vote for forum, putting something up quickly so we can move to
"content" ASAP and converting to Erlang later, perhaps as a Journal
project.