Warhammer 40k tank target of DMCA takedown

Prescott Ogden

Dec 8, 2011, 12:26:59 AM12/8/11
to thingiverse
The featured thing 13882 http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13882 was
subject to a DMCA takedown notice. Files are no longer available for
download. GW can't control .stl's any more that sony BMG could
control .mp3's. It will be interesting to see how this broader
struggle plays out? Have any illegal digital designs been spotted on
P2P networks? How long until we have ThingTorrent?

Mecano

Dec 10, 2011, 10:08:59 AM12/10/11
to thingiverse
Do I understand that they have deleted a file by copyright?
It is a shame, we do not download a song, we play with our instruments
and put the version for people to download it.

On 8 dic, 06:26, Prescott Ogden <og...@pres.co.tt> wrote:
> The featured thing 13882http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:13882was

John Cooper

Dec 10, 2011, 11:54:39 AM12/10/11
to thing...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Not sure I understand all this but as I understand it their items are
not covered under copyright as they are not written down, or music.
Was this a copy of their actual design? I thought that he had made a new
design based on their model. I don't think that he was trying to pass it
off as their product so it's not a fake. Sounds like a bit of an abuse
of the DMCA to me.

Just wondering otherwise there are probably a load of things on
thingiverse that are designed to look like other things but my
understanding was that it was okay to design your own.

It will start to get really interesting soon though I would imagine as
these sorts of things become more common especially as 3D scanners
become more popular.

john

Aaron Double

Dec 10, 2011, 12:55:24 PM12/10/11
to thing...@googlegroups.com
The problem with patent lawyers is they are expensive.

If he wanted to keep his files up, he would have to hire a lawyer and defend his right to leave them up in court. I personally don't think it would be worth it.

The other thing, in the future, I would suggest not using the specific name of the copied item in the name. I would guess they have a dude that googles their name and they go after anything that they find with it. He could of just called it a walking tank and left it at that.

One of my clients in the past was Boston Acoustics and what they would do is look for people selling their product cheap and they would buy it, look for hidden serial numbers that would only show up in infra red and then shut down the vendor that was supplying them, If I remember right, it was a 3 strikes you're out kinda thing and they were extremely open about it with the vendors, so they had to be stupid to do it in the first place)

This is not the first thing on thingiverse to get a DCMA notice.