Thin server http 500 error for urls with some non-ascii uppercase turkish chars

Cenk Pekyaman

May 13, 2015, 2:27:15 AM5/13/15
to thin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

We are using Bitnami's Redmine stack in Windows for issue tracking of our java project. Thin is run as a windows service by using winserv.exe
Windows Version: Windows Server 2012
Redmine version : 3.0.0
Thin Version: 1.6.1 (gem : thin-1.6.1-x86-mingw32)

We have email attachments for most of the issues in Redmine. The names of attachments generally contain Turkish chars. If we want to get the details of the issues we download the attachments (outlook msg files)
It seems that, when the url has some UPPERCASE Turkish chars we get internal server error and I don't even see the logs related to that attachment download in the logs (I normally see the logs such as GET /redmine/attachments/...).
So, I assume what happens is happenning before the request can be logged.
My observation is, if the url has, for example, ş (a lower case  turkish char) there is no error. But if the url has Ş (the upper case version of that same turkish char), the error happens.

an Example URL that fails is (encoded):
/redmine/attachments/download/1686/RE%20%20TERS%20BAK%C4%B0YE%20EDMONTON%20%C5%9EUBES%C4%B0%200612-881020%20ters%20bakiyesi.msg

Do you have any ideas what can be the problem is or how can I see more details about the problem (i.e. if I want to add some code to log more details what is the correct place to do it ? )
I am not sure if this is a Thin issue or rails issue or redmine issue, but I decided to start with Thin.

Thanks.