Comparing Thin to Nginx+Mongrel

Dan Croak

Jan 26, 2008, 11:48:22 AM1/26/08
to thin-ruby
Hey all,

This may be a flawed question (I can't pretend to know much about web
servers) but how does Thin compare with Nginx+mongrel cluster when
used for a Rails or Merb app?

Do you need other pieces with either setup to make it a fair
comparison? Is one typically easier to configure than the other? Is
one setup benchmarked as faster?

Thanks and warm regards,
Dan Croak

Kevin Williams

Jan 26, 2008, 12:26:39 PM1/26/08
to thin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dan,

Thin replaces Mongrel in that scenario. Thin supports all the
command-line options from Mongrel, and can use the mongrel_cluster.yml
syntax for configuration. Thin also supports listening on UNIX sockets
instead of TCP sockets, which is supported by Nginx.

http://www.almostserio.us/articles/2008/01/25/thin-raises-ruby-web-app-performance-bar-again

Hope that helps,

Kevin

--
Cheers,

Kevin Williams
http://www.bantamtech.com/
http://www.almostserio.us/
http://kevwil.com/

macournoyer

Jan 26, 2008, 12:51:30 PM1/26/08
to thin-ruby
I just posted more detail on that new feature and some benchmarks:
http://macournoyer.wordpress.com/2008/01/26/get-intimate-with-your-load-balancer-tonight/