ANNOUNCEMENT: TortoiseHg has moved off of BitBucket

Matt Harbison

Jun 27, 2020, 2:05:20 PM6/27/20
to TortoiseHg Developers
Thanks to Clever Cloud and Octobus for hosting, and Georges Racinet for dealing with all of the import issues.  There were a small handful of issues missing on BitBucket, and some attachments were also not retrievable, but it looks like almost everything is intact.

The new home for the repositories and issue trackers are here:

The downloads (Windows, macOS, and source tarballs) are now hosted here:

The main page will offer up the default download for your current platform.  There are a range of installers for Windows and macOS that are currently unavailable (basically, all of the officially hosted installers between 3.0 and 5.1), but they have been saved and the plan is to restore them when the server is upgraded sometime over the summer.

The repositories use the topic extension to manage PRs, and a couple were imported from BitBucket.  I pruned the large py3 PoC one from last summer, but you may want to disable the topic extension for any clones so you don't pull the remaining smaller ones.  The submission process is still patch based to this mailing list.

I plan to import the website repo, and all of the thgbuild/winbuild dependency repos in the next few days, just so that we have them.  Steve, can you update the tortoisehg.io site to point to the new location(s)?  That site apparently gets most of the traffic, since the 5.0.2 build advertised on it has 15x the downloads as 5.1.0 in the same download directory.

Yuya Nishihara

Jun 28, 2020, 1:43:35 AM6/28/20
to thg...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 11:05:19 -0700 (PDT), 'Matt Harbison' via TortoiseHg Developers wrote:
> Thanks to Clever Cloud and Octobus for hosting, and Georges Racinet for
> dealing with all of the import issues. There were a small handful of
> issues missing on BitBucket, and some attachments were also not
> retrievable, but it looks like almost everything is intact.
>

> The new home for the repositories and issue trackers are here:
>
> https://foss.heptapod.net/mercurial/tortoisehg
>
> https://foss.heptapod.net/mercurial/tortoisehg/thg/-/issues
>
> The downloads (Windows, macOS, and source tarballs) are now hosted here:
>
> https://www.mercurial-scm.org/release/tortoisehg/

Thanks.
Updated the bitbucket page to point to new home.

Can you give me maintainer permission so I can disable the merge requests
at all?

Yuya Nishihara

Jun 28, 2020, 1:48:14 AM6/28/20
to thg...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 14:26:33 +0900, Yuya Nishihara wrote:
> Can you give me maintainer permission so I can disable the merge requests
> at all?

And maybe push permission?

% hg nudge
pushing to ssh://h...@foss.heptapod.net/mercurial/tortoisehg/thg
searching for changes
remote: adding changesets
remote: adding manifests
remote: adding file changes
remote: user "heptapod-write" is not authorised to publish changesets: 5226b74d2b75 81e15879e3f9 a650db5c379a 8f35e3e09471 and 2 others

Yuya Nishihara

Jun 28, 2020, 2:33:03 AM6/28/20
to thg...@googlegroups.com
Now push works, thanks.

Matt Harbison

Jun 28, 2020, 2:37:51 AM6/28/20
to TortoiseHg Developers
You should have maintainer rights to the mercurial/tortoisehg group now.  I'd assume that also allows pushes.

I did a quick search, and don't see how to disable merge requests.  That said I'll prune the installer one with the patch you just queued as the successor once it lands, and that only leaves the one from mjacob.  I pinged him in IRC.

Yuya Nishihara

Jun 28, 2020, 2:48:59 AM6/28/20
to thg...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, 27 Jun 2020 23:37:50 -0700 (PDT), 'Matt Harbison' via TortoiseHg Developers wrote:
> I did a quick search, and don't see how to disable merge requests. That
> said I'll prune the installer one with the patch you just queued as the
> successor once it lands, and that only leaves the one from mjacob. I
> pinged him in IRC.

I simply turned off the "Merge requests" feature. Please let me know if
it caused a problem.

https://foss.heptapod.net/mercurial/tortoisehg/thg/edit

Matt Harbison

Jun 28, 2020, 3:25:50 PM6/28/20
to 'Matt Harbison' via TortoiseHg Developers, Steve Borho
On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 2:05 PM 'Matt Harbison' via TortoiseHg
Developers <thg...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

> I plan to import the website repo, and all of the thgbuild/winbuild dependency repos in the next few days, just so that we have them. Steve, can you update the tortoisehg.io site to point to the new location(s)? That site apparently gets most of the traffic, since the 5.0.2 build advertised on it has 15x the downloads as 5.1.0 in the same download directory.

Steve- I put the website repo here:
https://foss.heptapod.net/mercurial/tortoisehg/thg-web.

All of the other dependencies are transferred too now, and I was able
to build the installer from a fresh clone, without any bitbucket
contact.

Matt Harbison

Jul 8, 2020, 1:55:52 AM7/8/20
to TortoiseHg Developers
Yuya, it might be worth deleting the other 3 repos now with forwarding links to the thg repo on heptapod while you still can.  I checked with Augie, and he has the downloads archived.  (I've also got a backup.)  It looks like the plan is to delete the repos real soon anyway:

Yuya Nishihara

Jul 8, 2020, 7:00:17 AM7/8/20
to thg...@googlegroups.com
Done.

gerd.katz...@gmail.com

Jul 16, 2020, 2:39:59 PM7/16/20
to TortoiseHg Developers
The linked stable builds are not signed. And the foss site shows no releases.

Matt Harbison

Jul 16, 2020, 2:45:20 PM7/16/20
to TortoiseHg Developers
On Thursday, July 16, 2020 at 2:39:59 PM UTC-4, gerd.kat...@gmail.com wrote:
The linked stable builds are not signed. And the foss site shows no releases.

Yes.  The signing certificate belongs to Steve, so he's the only one who can create signed builds.  I think there's been some on and off effort to get a signing certificate using Mercurial funds, but I don't have any recent info.

The builds are hosted on the main page of https://www.mercurial-scm.org, so I haven't looked into how to also host on the foss page.

Marc Schlaich

Jul 20, 2020, 8:48:27 AM7/20/20
to TortoiseHg Developers
Please update or remove the heavily outdated page at https://tortoisehg.bitbucket.io/ This is the first google match for TortoiseHg! I guess that a lot of users think that thg is unmaintained because there is no news entry for a year now!

Also, https://www.mercurial-scm.org/downloads points to the non existent http://tortoisehg.org/ URL...

Matt Harbison

Jul 20, 2020, 11:36:48 AM7/20/20
On Mon, Jul 20, 2020 at 8:48 AM Marc Schlaich <marc.s...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please update or remove the heavily outdated page at https://tortoisehg.bitbucket.io/ This is the first google match for TortoiseHg! I guess that a lot of users think that thg is unmaintained because there is no news entry for a year now!

Steve, can you handle this?

> Also, https://www.mercurial-scm.org/downloads points to the non existent http://tortoisehg.org/ URL...

It looks like it forwards to the outdated website. I assume from the
reference to updating the domain info in the other thread, that's by
design. If Steve doesn't get a chance to respond in a few days, maybe
I'll just drop the link on that site.

william...@gmail.com

Jul 22, 2020, 10:43:30 AM7/22/20
to TortoiseHg Developers
Indeed, the english wikipedia page stated that the project was discontinued since July 13th.
I took the liberty to undo that change and to update some of the informations
but I don't know what to link as "official website", which still pointed to bitbucket.
I changed for the wiki that is more up to date for a temporary replacement.

I would appreciate if someone check my changes and finish the job

Thanks for your work

Matt Harbison

Jul 22, 2020, 11:39:39 AM7/22/20
to TortoiseHg Developers

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 10:43:30 AM UTC-4, willia...@gmail.com wrote:
Indeed, the english wikipedia page stated that the project was discontinued since July 13th.
I took the liberty to undo that change and to update some of the informations
but I don't know what to link as "official website", which still pointed to bitbucket.
I changed for the wiki that is more up to date for a temporary replacement.

I would appreciate if someone check my changes and finish the job

Thanks for your work

Thanks for updating it.  It never occurred to me that there would be a wikipedia entry.  The wiki is also a bit out of date, but seems like the best choice because it can still be updated.

The only thing I see wrong on the wikipedia page is the latest release is 5.4.2.  It looks like somebody put that on, and then reverted it.