Reference implementation will no longer support Python 2.7

Joshua Lock

Feb 25, 2021, 9:39:33 AM2/25/21
to The Update Framework (TUF)
I though it was worth raising here as we intend for this to be the final release of (python-)tuf that supports Python 2.7.

We just released version 0.17.0 of the TUF reference implementation (tuf, or python-tuf):

Per the release notes, this will be the final release of tuf that supports Python 2.7.
This is because Python 2.7 was marked end-of-life in January of 2020, and since then several of tuf's direct and transient dependencies have stopped supporting Python 2.7.

Moving forwards the maintainers will be focused on supporting Python 3.6 or newer.
Pull Requests to fix bugs affecting Python 2.7 will be considered, and merged to a release branch (subject to normal review processes). Note that there may be delays due to the lack of developer resources for reviewing such pull requests.

Regards,
Joshua
--
Joshua Lock
VMware Open Source Technology Center

Trishank Kuppusamy

Feb 25, 2021, 12:44:10 PM2/25/21
to Joshua Lock, The Update Framework (TUF)
Thanks, Joshua!

This is such a big one, that I wonder whether it's worth advertising by incrementing the SemVer major version for our next release?