Using TUF 5.0.0 to create a persistent repository

Milan Satpathy

May 29, 2024, 6:11:05 AMMay 29
to The Update Framework (TUF)
Hi,

In one of our earlier implementation we had utilized the tuf.repository_tool to
setup a persistent repository.

We would like to upgrade it to the latest TUF implementation.  I see there are some example codes available under examples/repository. However it only shows how to  create  an in-memory repository.

Any pointers in this direction is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance !

Regards,
Milan

Jussi Kukkonen

May 29, 2024, 8:08:42 AMMay 29
to Milan Satpathy, The Update Framework (TUF)
python-tuf is now a library only: we felt the CLI tools were A) painful to maintain and B) not a reasonable way to maintain production repositories.

I think your first step would be to look at the higher level repository applications that are now available: at least https://github.com/theupdateframework/tuf-on-ci and https://rstuf.org  are options.

If neither seems attractive and a legacy repository_tool like experience is what you want, I think creating one using the current python-tuf APIs would not be a large amount of code (assuming it's tailored for your use case) -- generally my opinion is still that tools like that are not a reasonable way to maintain long term repositories... but use cases do vary so it could make sense for yours.

Jussi