Pls sign the petition to upgrade the Boultbee Jones crosswalk to a full four way traffic light

1 view

Richard Brooks

Jun 21, 2017, 8:24:54 PM6/21/17
to thepocke...@googlegroups.com

Petition to make the Boultbee / Jones intersection safer for our kids

Please sign the community wide petition asking the City of Toronto to move forward with plans to make the Boultbee and Jones intersection safer for pedestrians and kids.

Please sign now

Many people, particularly parents crossing their kids to area schools and childcare centres, have repeatedly said that “it is only a matter of time” before an awful accident happens at this intersection. Last year, a car pulling out of a parking spot was hit by a car speeding down the Jones hill and had to be towed away. Luckily no one was hurt. Two days ago a car speeding down the hill had to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid hitting a child crossing during school hours.

Mixing hundreds of students crossing this intersection daily, cars turning onto and darting across Jones, city buses stopping in the intersection blocking sight lines and school buses letting off kids nearby – is dangerous. A crosswalk, irregular speed enforcement and skilled crossing guards risking their lives is simply not good enough.

Help us move forward with upgrading the crossing to a four way traffic light. Sign the petition and support the effort by our city councillor to move this through community and city council.

Please share widely. More than one adult can sign per household. https://goo.gl/YPxUbt

If you’d like to help with further outreach to neighbours and parents, please contact richard...@gmail.com

Can’t greater speed enforcement by police solve this problem?

Speed enforcement can’t occur every school day, let alone all hours of the day when this intersection is in use. Speed isn’t the only safety concern at this intersection. Some drivers simply don’t respect crosswalks. Drivers are also using the activated crosswalk lights to dart across or turn onto Jones while northbound and southbound cars are stopped. City and school buses are stopping in the intersection blocking sight lines.

Won’t this be frustrating for drivers?

A traffic light will likely make it safer for drivers who regularly use this intersection. A four way traffic light should make it easier for drivers to cross Jones safely, no longer having to dodge across when there is a break in traffic.

Will this cost money?

Upgrading an crosswalk to a full traffic light does cost city money, but we think the costs pales in comparison to the value of the lives of our children who use this intersection every day.