This Group Still Active?

mmus...@gmail.com

Aug 29, 2006, 1:12:11 AM8/29/06
to User Research Theory Study Group Planning
Hi there. I've been away at conferences/summer school and am about to
take off again but was curious as to whether there were any plans for
when the next discussion was going to start again. I had assumed we
were going with Foucault next but then only a few people responded to
that..

Marcela

sony-youth

Aug 29, 2006, 8:54:34 PM8/29/06
to User Research Theory Study Group Planning
I would love for more discussion to take place, although I have not
heard much from the list for a while.

If I could suggest a reading (somehow related to Foucault), how about
"The Sociology of a Door" by Bruno Latour
(http://www.ensmp.fr/~latour/articles/article/050.html). I think it
has plenty for discussion despite being (or because it is) relativly
short and enjoyable.

Oliver

Steve Portigal

Aug 29, 2006, 10:32:13 PM8/29/06
to Oli...@sony-youth.com, User Research Theory Study Group Planning
>If I could suggest a reading (somehow related to Foucault), how about
>"The Sociology of a Door" by Bruno Latour
>(http://www.ensmp.fr/~latour/articles/article/050.html). I think it
>has plenty for discussion despite being (or because it is) relativly
>short and enjoyable.

Can you put a bit of structure to the suggestion? The "what" and the
"when" - what kind of contribution would you like anyone to make, or
will you start off the conversation, or whatever? I think we can do
each reading in whatever way we want, but I think it'll be easier to
participate if there's a "plan" (and each plan can be different and
up to the suggestor?) - and maybe a time at which the next thing will
start?

Thanks!

Steve Portigal -- http://www.portigal.com/blog/
NEW: http://www.cultureventure.net

Marcela Musgrove

Aug 30, 2006, 2:51:42 AM8/30/06
to st...@portigal.com, Oli...@sony-youth.com, User Research Theory Study Group Planning
I'm new to Google Groups and don't see a calendar or polling feature
available--is there one? Otherwise it's just everyone emailing their
availability and preferences one by one which is fine, but seems to
slow things down a bit. I liked the way we did it the first time where
we just set a reading and deadline and then comments trickled in as
they came. Obviously not everyone can chime in every time and
shouldn't feel pressured to, but I think we need to get the momentum
going and let the group set its own pace. But summer is a slow time
and don't know if people are back from vacations or whatever...maybe
the week after Labor Day would be good to restart? Both the readings
mentioned seem good.

Natasha

Aug 30, 2006, 11:23:44 AM8/30/06
to User Research Theory Study Group Planning
I'm still very interested in this group. "The Sociology of a Door"
piece does sound intriguing. I agree with Steve in that having a bit
of structure around the sorts of questions we should be asking of the
article as we read it, etc. Or maybe, Oliver, you could offer the
intital piece of discussion and we can let it evolve from there. Is
there an easy online link to this article that can be provided to the
group?

Happy early Labour Day Weekend,
Natasha

CHRISTINE Z. MILLER

Aug 30, 2006, 12:30:03 PM8/30/06
to nsch...@hotmail.com, User Research Theory Study Group Planning
I'm also very interested in continuing with the group, although I haven't been able to be as active as I'd like. I have downloaded the Latour article. It would be great to get some discussion going around this.

Chris Miller

Christine Miller, Ph.D. Candidate
Business & Organizational Anthropology
Wayne State University

Cell ph#: (248) 914-0475

"Those who would suppose that there is a logic which everyone would agree to if he understood it, are more optimistic than those versed in the history of logic have a right to be."
C. I. Lewis, 1923

Steve Portigal

Aug 30, 2006, 3:41:12 PM8/30/06
to nsch...@hotmail.com, User Research Theory Study Group Planning
>article as we read it, etc. Or maybe, Oliver, you could offer the
>intital piece of discussion and we can let it evolve from there. Is
>there an easy online link to this article that can be provided to the
>group?

See Oliver's post - he included a link in that message.

sony-youth

Sep 4, 2006, 2:20:39 PM9/4/06
to User Research Theory Study Group Planning
Hi all,

Sorry for not replying to the list sooner. Since I see that Sam Ladner
has replied with to the piece, might I suggest that we all continue
along the same line.

I will look over the piece quickly again tomorrow and add a little to
Sam's discussion. I don't know if this is much of a "plan" but lacking
any other, it seems at least like one way to proceed. Let's give it
until the end of this working week for duscussion to trickle in - if it
continues past then, all the better.

Oliver

Steve Portigal

Sep 4, 2006, 3:41:39 PM9/4/06
to Oli...@sony-youth.com, User Research Theory Study Group Planning

Apologies if this sounds like I'm being difficult but I would
encourage people organizing "assignments" to be VERY CLEAR about what
they want the group to do. I would suggest that's one of the reasons
(others have listed their own) for a somewhat slow and meandering
progress here (despite lots of passion and interest).

For example, this response seems to ignore Sam's suggestions around
timing and content and instead implies (perhaps I'm mis-reading) the
discussion is already underway. As a participant, this leaves me
confused, and my reaction (and this is just ME, and I'm not trying to
be critical of anyone personally) is to not put the energy in to
figuring out what's supposed to be happening (I could be lazy, perhaps).

I'll reiterate my recommendation from a couple of months ago - that
anyone who wants to do a reading should suggest a reading, and what
they want to happen (who posts what, at what point, and what they'll
be contribute) and do it. Consensus is getting us nowhere; there's no
reason for everyone to agree on everything, the discussions can
overlap and so on.

Thanks for indulging my facilitation-need (and I figure it's a
responsibility as well, since I started this little thing).

Steve

sony-youth

Sep 5, 2006, 12:34:37 PM9/5/06
to User Research Theory Study Group Planning
How right you are Steve, however, I didn't ignore Sam's proposed dates,
I simply didn't see them. I read through Sam's post very quickly and
mis-read it to be a kick-start for discussion.

Alongside, Sams assignment question, I'll post one or two assignments
of my own and stick with Sam's dates of Sept. 15 as a deadline and
Sept. 16 as the day to post assignments back to the list.

I hope this is what you have in mind. If not then please be a little
more clear yourself as to what you expect of people who propose
readings or make one of your own as an example.

Oliver

Steve Portigal

Sep 5, 2006, 1:12:53 PM9/5/06
to Oli...@sony-youth.com, User Research Theory Study Group Planning
>I hope this is what you have in mind. If not then please be a little
>more clear yourself as to what you expect of people who propose
>readings or make one of your own as an example.

Done! See the first assignment for an example
http://groups.google.com/group/theory-plan/browse_frm/thread/f24de7cc2aaa78f5/279ea2092aba3668

sony-youth

Sep 5, 2006, 2:05:27 PM9/5/06
to User Research Theory Study Group Planning
OK, so have I met the requirments?