RE: Geertz and the production/existence of culture

Sam Ladner

Jun 16, 2006, 2:42:42 PM6/16/06
to User Research Theory Study Group Planning
Hi all,

Further to this thread, I note the similarities between Geertz and
Berger and Luckman's "The Social Construction of Knowledge."

As Mick rightly notes, Geertz argues that culture is essentially a
shared system meaning. Berger and Luckman also argue this in their book
(a classic). They argue that much of what we consider to be "invisible"
or "inside people's heads" I guess, is actually public, shared and
becomes embedded into social institutions.

Very often people say, "Well that's just the way it is," when referring
to certain cultural practices. Berger and Luckman point out that, for
example, there were cultures that celebrated homosexuality as the height
of masculinity (e.g., Roman army). So what we perceive to be universal
ideals are in fact socially constructed.

Gathering thick description is the methodological approach of
discovering and revealing these shared systems of meaning. Meaning is
socially constructed AND socially understood. The implication for user
research for interface design is this: we must understand where cultural
symbols intersect.

When it comes to technology design, for example, there is a distinct
gender component in seemingly innocuous choices for interfaces. I
personally see gender deeply embedded, or as Bijker argues, "baked in"
to many technologies. Linear notions of design (as opposed to iterative,
ongoing and never-ending) evokes a "masculinized" notion of time. Simone
de Beauvoir argued that women's sense of time is mostly circular, based
on ongoing tasks of housework, childbirth and rearing, etc.

Thick description from women may reveal how they perceive their
interaction with an interface, one that may paint the interface as
falsely "complete" when a person may expect it to learn or redesign
itself.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sam Ladner
Account Planner