Assignment One

Steve Portigal

May 30, 2006, 11:27:57 AM5/30/06
to theor...@googlegroups.com
Great input and brainstorming on how to proceed. Here's the first
assignment, then:

Download and read Geert's Thick Description essay as available from
<http://www.stanford.edu/%7Edavidf/qualitative151/Reader.htm>http://www.stanford.edu/~davidf/qualitative151/Reader.htm

On June 9 (since we all have other things going on in our lives, that
seems like enough time, and not TOO much time), "everyone", i.e.,
everyone who is taking on the assignment post something here.

Three or so paragraphs of your own analysis, insight, summation from
the piece.
Five or so questions that you wonder about after reading the piece.

I'd encourage people to HOLD OFF on submitting stuff ahead of time,
so we can all compose ours in a bit of a vacuum. And then, of course,
have a discussion in a multi-threaded free-for-all :) If you are
getting this as email, you may prefer the Google web interface for
Google Groups as a way to read these messages.

Steve

Steve Portigal -- http://www.portigal.com
blog -- http://chittahchattah.blogspot.com

Susan Mann

May 31, 2006, 10:19:36 AM5/31/06
to User Research Theory Study Group Planning
I have enthusiastically tried to post here before but have not
succeeded. I will be away until June 11 (sitting under a palm tree
trying with an umbrella drink in hand) so Geertz and thick
description is not what I will be thinking about...

However, I will read it and participate as soon as I get back.

I recall that in my theory class in grad school we did something
similar to this - we all read and critiqued a work. Sent around our
thoughts to the rest of the group and then discussed it. Perhaps we
could have an online chat to discuss the postings after enough time has
elapsed - say 5/6 days?

Susan

Also, Does anyone know how to forward these emails to my regular email
address? I never use my gmail account and this is yet another thing
my pre-vacation fried brain has to remember!!!!

Steve Portigal

May 31, 2006, 10:26:43 AM5/31/06
to Susan Mann, User Research Theory Study Group Planning
>I recall that in my theory class in grad school we did something
>similar to this - we all read and critiqued a work. Sent around our
>thoughts to the rest of the group and then discussed it. Perhaps we
>could have an online chat to discuss the postings after enough time has
>elapsed - say 5/6 days?

http://www.campfirenow.com/ is a free online chat that lets up to 60
people sign up. It's on a website so no one needs to install an
application (but you do need to register with them)

>Also, Does anyone know how to forward these emails to my regular email
>address? I never use my gmail account and this is yet another thing
>my pre-vacation fried brain has to remember!!!!

You don't have to sign up for this list with a gmail account - it can
be any email account. If you can't do this yourself, I can always
make changes to the list on your behalf - just write me directly and
we'll figure it out.